TN: 2007 Virage Vineyards (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Emily’s tragic loss of her home to the fires inspired me to open this tonight in solidarity:

2007 Virage Vineyards - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/30/2020)
Plummy and curranty fruit with a little spice, its modest weight and ripeness make it friendly and approachable but with subtle depth reminiscent of 1989 La Dominique. Very well done.

I had that one maybe 5 years ago and it was lovely. The 2007s are in for the long haul.

We opened a 2011 tonight. Solid effort in a tough year. Our thoughts and prayers are with Emily and family.
C6A5075A-6F45-47A4-B0BF-9CC660D7F05B.jpeg

Oh no. She lost her home. So sad to hear that. I love her wines.

There will be more on this as Todd is working on a little fund raiser for her.

Hang tight.

I had a little email exchange back in June over my forgetting and following up on my BD order that apparently got lost in the FedEx warehouse or truck. A really lovely and passionate person and I bought another replacement case of the rosé which my wife likes immensely. I was about to spring for another as Emily said she had a few left that she wanted to clear out. I know she was disappointed to miss out on the Covid sale. I sincerely hope she and the rest come through this disaster and 2021 is a recovery year.

I’m thinking about serving this for Easter dinner with Ribeye’s. Any suggestions on decanting or other tips?

I would give it an hour or two decant. This will be a great pairing with ribeyes! The 2007 has become a Christmas tradition for us, paired with an expresso-rubbed rib roast - enjoy!!!

Great, thanks so much!

This wine very much reminded me of the style in Napa in the mid-80s thru 94.

Really enjoyed it.

Does anyone know if she is making any new wines, or just selling off remaining inventory?

Second the question. I fell in love with the wines last year — I hope the window isn’t closing.

1 Like

I emailed Emily and she’ll jump in here.

She’s had it bad. A tree fell on her house in 2017 then lost everything in the napa fires.

It’s a test and she’ll pass!,

1 Like

This was really outstanding. My wife and I both loved it, went great with Ribeye’s.

1 Like

Love Emily’s wines. 2010 is the oldest I had – I think we paired it with short ribs or a beef stew last time and they were great together.

According to CT, 2012 is the youngest red and 2016 is the youngest rose, so I do fear that the production discontinued somewhere along the way. I hope very much that the pipeline refills at some point.

Ping Emily again. We want to know if there will be more Virage in the future or not.

With all due respect, not sure why there would be an expectation that Emily would disclose her business plan to us. She has had some real difficulties with her property over the past several years. She may still be working through it as well.

To me, this is akin to someone asking you, “Did you get a raise at work this year?? How much was it??”

Just my $.02

I respectfully disagree. This isn’t us being nosy about her life, much less asking how much money she makes, it’s happy customers eagerly hoping there will be more to buy from her business.

If she doesn’t want to say, that’s fine, certainly nobody will criticize, but people saying they love her wines and wondering and hoping if there will be more, I’ll bet you anything she will think that’s awesome rather than inappropriate.

But before this goes down the wrong road, we obviously both wish her the very best and are coming at this from a well-intentioned place, even if we see it differently. I respect your words and why you said them.

2 Likes

Emily is family.

I’ll ping her

1 Like