TN: 2013 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre FAMILIAR (USA, California)

• 2013 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre FAMILIAR - USA, California (10/2/2020)
    Should have purchased cases of this wine. Awesome aromatics, light bodied enough for chicken or pork but enough oomph to handle beef. Hell yeah.

Posted from CellarTracker

Brian I’m new to these wines, and have some from Berserker Aide Day. What’s the thought-process on when to open and enjoy?

The Familiars and Especials aren’t intended for aging and Hardy recommends drinking them within the first 12-18 months, though I, like Brian, have had at least decent luck with some of those wines with more age.

Yeah, I usually open these early but this one had a blend of Petite Sirah and I had an inkling when I first tasted it from barrel with Hardy back at Punchdown Cellars that this would have the backbone to handle a little age. The SVD’s benefit from sideways time or good decants. Here’s my note from that day.

• 2013 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre FAMILIAR - USA, California (4/23/2014)
    Tasting Dirty and Rowdy with Hardy Wallace (Puchdown Cellars - Santa Rosa): This was a barrel sample which will likely be renamed due to an error where a barrel of Petite Sirah mistakenly was mixed in during racking.
    91.7% Mourvèdre, 8.3% Petite Sirah.
    Even with just the small amount of PS in this wine the blend is evident first in the color which is dark almost black and second in the structure which shows much more dark fruited with powerful tannins. Has nice Mourvèdre florals but with a savory edge. Mouth has crunchy red and black fruit. Great tannic structure. This is going to be a winner if you ask me. Sometimes you have to make a mistake to find something new.

Posted from CellarTracker

Hardy had pretty specific decanting recommendations for the virtual tastings this spring. These were in the emails and I don’t know if these notes were archived anywhere.

For back vintages too?

No, we’re relying on you.
Well, I think some were library releases, but no 7 year old Familar.

I can’t keep these in my cellar longer than a year. Too delicious!!

In my experience the D&R wines almost always are better on day 2, particularly if the wine hasn’t had a few years in the cellar. So if you can, open them up the night before. If that’s impossible, and if you open the bottle and it shows spritz or any reductive aromas (e.g., rubber), swig the wine back and forth between the bottle and a decanter (or between 2 decanters) 20 times or so, and that ought to help.

I’ve never had a reductive D&R. YMMV.

I have opened 3 bottles of the 2018 and they were awesome.
I think this wine is the best value for D&R.

As good as the Familiar red is, I think the 2018 Familiar blanc is an even better value. Perhaps the best sub-$30 dry white I’ve ever had.