more Sociando (short)...

Double decanted the 1995 (mag) three hours prior. Bottle in perfect condition. First, what a nose! Blown away by the cassis.

Consumed with roasted duck breast with figs. (OK, probably not the perfect pairing.) Sadly, this was the least enjoyable SM I’ve ever had – which is not to say, of course, that it was not enjoyable. But it was quite austere, in the way 1995 can be. All acid and little fruit. No green. It certainly demanded food.

Is this wine dying already, or did it just never come around? I would probably score it high 80s.

(Apologies to the many SM fans here.)

I liked it but not loved it:

If it is anything like the case of 1995 Calon Segur I bought maybe 4-5 years ago, I’d bet on it improving. I frankly thought the case might have been stored poorly when I opened the first few bottles, but I’m not convinced it was just shut down. The last couple of bottles have been better, though I suspect we are still many years away from peak. LLC has been similar. Ducru, on the other hand, is was awesome out of a double mag a few years ago.

While discussing 90’s Sociando, has anyone checked in on 96 recently?

Mark, I am a huge CS fan, and it would not surprise me at all if 95 is simply not yet ready. (Though as a result of a recent experience, I can tell you 89 CS is ready and delicious!)

Speaking of SM 96, I have a 3L and am always trying to create excuses to open it.

Just popped a 2003 over the Gator-Gamecocks game, shared with a buddy. Starting to shed some of its Napa-styling in this ripe vintage, gaining complexity with the additional nuances.

To me it sounds like a 1995 that hasn’t yet come out of its shell. Lots of them were like this and many have emerged, but it’s a tough vintage and it wouldn’t surprise me if Sociando acted like this.

I never really liked / cared much for the 95 S-M. Much preferred the 96 and am maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through a box of that year.

I felt the same way about the 95 Lafon Rochet, a neighboring estate that is often similar quality.

Sorry your 95 didn’t show better, Kelly - I share your pain - I was similarly underwhelmed by SM Cuvée Jean Gautreau 1995 on Friday, which was the most disappointing JG tasted yet. Mine had plenty of fruit but no complexity, it was very one-dimensional. I kept expecting it to take off - but it never did.

Wow, consider me shocked to hear that, but you know the ‘ole saying about good bottles and all that. I thought the JG was outstanding. Do you have any more? Bummer to hear of your experience.

Very sorry to hear that, Julian – and I may truly feel your pain with two JG 95s on the way! :frowning:

How long did you decant? Maybe this is try one that is truly too young?

Cheers guys - well the good news, Kelly, is that your ones should be OK after all: I had kept about half a bottle, which I finished last night. At first, there was no change, the wine was lightly fruity but monotonous, stuck in second gear. Then all of a sudden, as I was sipping the final glass, it took off, quite literally - whoosh, the middle section headed towards the stars, with the trademark notes of high-toned raspberry and cassis that had been so lacking before. Very frustrating, but half a glass is better than nothing, even if it didn’t reach the heights of the 96, 00 or 01.

I had decanted the wine for five hours on Friday and it stayed in the decanter for another two, then I poured it back into the bottle and stored it in the cellar with a Vacuvin stopper. So I would open it the day before, try it and then decide if you decant it overnight or the morning before. Hope yours turn out well!

Wow that is a big wine! Thanks for all the detail, Julian. k