The Site Is Broke. All links are sending me to wine.com

Todd,

It is starting to hurt the functionality of the site. Just FYI–but links to reddit/twitter/cellartracker/everything are redirecting to Wine.com.

Third advisement. Crickets.

That was happening to me to so I cleared history and cookies and it stopped happening.

That is a pain in the ass as it signs you out of everything else.

I’m using Brave browser with the ad-shields down (for this site anyway) on Windows 10 and links appear to be working just fine. Just a data point from the other side in case this is browser/OS specific.

For reference Brave is based on Chrome and uses the same base code.

I’m trying to figure it out - it’s very odd because it’s a hyperlink redirect, and I can’t find out the issue. Doing malware scans as we speak, even server-side.

So far, it has never happened to me if I hold down the CTL button when I click the link. When I simply click, it sometimes happens, and it’s not even consistent per link. For example, the penultimate post in the 2019 Germany thread contains a link to a Google translated version of a German article. First time I clicked on it, without holding down CTL button, I was directed to wine.com. Then clicked on it holding down CTL button, and it went to the article. Third time I clicked on it without holding down CTL button and it went to the article. Seems odd.

The second attempt at every link seems to work for me. And I did not have this issue at first when others reported it.

Same for me (both parts).

It’s an issue with the viglink redirect. Can viglink just be disabled?

#MeToo

And the worst part of this abuse is that I do not get the $100 off $300 coupon!

I did disable it, yesterday - still working on all angles. I uninstalled it and removed a bunch of code (stupid Viglink - was problematic in the past) so HOPEFULLY it worked

OK. I’ll let you know if I see it happen again. I saw that it was viglink when it happened to me earlier today. It’s possible that even though you uninstalled it something was cached somewhere.

Fingers crossed…I think you fixed it.

I tried two links that only 15 minutes ago took me to wine.com and now they worked correctly. I tried one new link and it worked correctly as well. I didn’t clear my cache either.

That’s super helpful, actually, as I disabled Viglink yesterday (as a likely culprit) but after seeing your post, I dug in deeper and disabled individual commands within it, even though it shouldn’t be working at all

Still an issue as I just tested it again. I can test it by making a post with a link. Previewing that post and hitting the link. Sent me to Round Pond Cab at wine.com when I linked to The Atlantic. Thanks.

I am not able to reproduce that on my machine, but I do see that the viglink javascript code is still being added to each page. If you click View Source you can see the following inserted:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var vglnk = {key: '4b364168e8c12279f3df88db855ecb25'};
    (function(d, t) {
        var s = d.createElement(t);
            s.type = 'text/javascript';
            s.async = true;
            s.src = '//cdn.viglink.com/api/vglnk.js';
        var r = d.getElementsByTagName(t)[0];
            r.parentNode.insertBefore(s, r);
    }(document, 'script'));
</script>

Yeah, that’s my last hope - everything has been disabled on the Viglink end, but maybe they wait a while to turn it off. I’ll remove the code

Is it as much of a memory hog as Chrome? I’m about to give up on Chrome, because it regularly disables my older laptop with 4GB of RAM by hogging all the RAM.

I have not noticed memory problems. I routinely leave a dozen tabs open for days at a time with no problems. I remember Chrome would eat up the memory if I used it like that. The main thing I like is The Brave team stripped out all the google tracking stuff (and cross site tracking) so every page load doesn’t have to tell google/facebook/amazon what page you loaded. I was impressed how much quicker pages loaded with this turned off. Didn’t realize all the tracking transactions slowed the pages that much.