is Nuits les SAINT GEORGES worthy of grand cru status?

Is LES SAINT GEORGES worthy of grand cru status ?

If all parts of Clos de Vougeot are than Aux Boudots is probably of the same quality. I think many think of it as the most affordable Vosne 1er though. I don’t see anything special about Les Saint Georges though:
https://www.chateau-marsannay.com/wp-content/themes/chateau-marsannay/img/cartes/cote-de-nuits.jpg

My view: yes.

In the hands of multiple producers–Chevillon, Gouges, T. Liger-Belair, even Faiveley–and over a long period of time, LSG has regularly yielded wine that is distinctive and exceeds the quality of lower-level GCs. It’s also obviously a famous and long-established site.

Assuming Clos St Jacques, Amoureuses and Malconsorts also become Grand cru? Or irrespective ?..

Why do you people want more vineyards to get Grand Cru status? All it will do is make prices for the wines from those vineyards go up.

It seems to have already happened with Chevillon, though maybe it would go up even more if formalized.

Worthy

Lovely, but I would put a few others ahead of the line like Malconsorts, Les Amour. and CSJ.

2010 Faiveley NSG 1er LSG is stunning.

Yes, but don’t spread it around.

It is worthy. So are a few others, but I do like being able to (barely) afford them.

No. Maybe Clos St Jacques, Meursault Perrieres, Cros Parantoux

Why not run the Burgundy status game like the Premier League? The worst Grand Crus are relegated to Premier Crus, and the best Premier Crus are promoted to Grand Crus, say once every 2 or 3 decades. Off hand, I’d bet a few of us can name several GCs that could easily be demoted, and there are already a few worthy 1er candidates for upgrading into GC status. It would be criminal if Les Amoureuses wasn’t the first to be awarded GC status.

Which grand crus are worthy of 1er Cru status? [stirthepothal.gif]

Haven’t had them, but I’ve read and heard anecdotally that Clos des Lambrays is often a bit of a miss.

Other than that, parts of Corton, parts of Clos de Vougeot, parts of Echezeaux, maybe La Grande Rue.

The old Clos des Lambrays wines of the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s and 1940s are about as good as Burgundy gets!

Honestly, these debates often end up being rather arid, as anywhere on the Côte d’Or is quite an exciting place to produce wine, if the sites are farmed at the level that they deserve. Les Saint Georges will be valorized by great viticulture and winemaking, not by writing “Grand Cru” on the label.

This comment is worthy of high-level 1er and possibly Grand Cru status. [snort.gif]

I think the current classifications are pretty spot on. CSJ should have been given GC status from the beginning but given prices, I can’t imagine any owners are complaining.
Lambrays, like most, reflect their GC status with suitable age.

Resting on the current classifications doesn’t really work in the case of Les St. Georges because it almost certainly would have been classified grand cru in the original classification on its merits. Henri Gouges didn’t let it get considered because he was the mayor of Nuits at the time and a major owner of the cru and apparently didn’t want the appearance of impropriety.

It’s clearly more of a grand cru than the lesser -Chambertins and Cortons.

I read somewhere that it was more of, “I don’t want to pay the fee of getting this classified grand cru.”