TN: 2007 Donnhoff Neiderhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese

Deep orange color - petrol, honeysuckle and orange peel on the nose. Nice balance of sweet orange and nectarine fruit with a good spine of acidity on the palate. Not the most complex Donnhoff, but paired very well with shrimp vindaloo.

Too soon for the aged complexity

Deep orange color?! I wouldn’t have expected to be that at this stage.

2 Likes

Didn’t notice that…reading too fast. My recent 2007 Dönnhoff wines have still been a light straw color.

I have not had any deep orange Spatlese from Donnhoff or any other producer from this millennium, although it sounds tasty, despite what I think is a surprising color. I love 2007s.

I’ve gone through a 6-pack of ‘07 Turmchen Spatlese over the past few months. None were advanced. All were delicious.

Great wine.

1 mag in the cellar. Now I am tempted.

Color was advanced, but did not taste anything oxidized or tired, just a little simple. Bought on release.

A little oxidation will strip complexity IME.

This wine is no longer made by Donnhoff? I see up through 2013 on CT. Or name change? thx

It’s had different names over the many vintages. I have Felsenturmchen or Felsenberg Spätlese up through 2015. I think that might have been the end, with it all going into dry wine production.

1 Like

At the San Francisco riesling dinner, we had an '07 Neiderhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese, and it seemed a little dark (amber, not brown) and advanced. It had a caramelly, almost sherried quality to it. Photo of the wine is below: does Hermannshohle normally get this dark at 16 years of age?

I raise it because of Jud’s original note about his wine being advanced way back in '20. Not sure if this degree of evolution is normal for Hermannshohle or it may be some other issue:

Nope. And sherried makes no sense unless it was damaged.

1 Like

Thanks David, I appreciate your insights as always.

I just had a bottle of the '05 over three days. Much lighter colour than the photo or description. And just lovely (though with ample fruit richness).

2 Likes

Glad it showed well. I have had variable experiences with numerous producers’ 2005s. Tired wines from top tier estates.