Jancis R says riesling is better

FT article by Jancis Robinson arguing (correctly of course) that riesling in the ‘greatest white wine grape in the world’.

Of course, its light on making a subjective argument and just as much about how great 2019 is. Because we havent had that already.

But, if you’re spoiling for an old fight, white burg fans, et al, have at it.

Article here:

I prefer both Riesling and Chenin Blanc over Chardonnay, so I’m on board!

Not the greatest article. But YES.

She, and many others, have been saying this for years. From a technical perspective they have a strong point. Of course, how much you like it is entirely subjective.

The jig is up!

Edit: There’s a paywall, can anyone PM it to me?

I suspect part of the problem is image as well as very confused, not to say deceptive, marketing (“beware the bereich” as someone more learned than I put it). A quality system based on sweetness is perverse. (Next will be Napa quality designation based on ABV).

The Greatest white grape? Debatable, hence this thread. Clearly one of the greats. And undeserving of its general indifferent reputation in the broad market. Palates are probably changing too, with increased consumption of high octane drinks like cocktails and Napa Cabs and their ilk, and increasingly spicy food - vichyssoise with scotch bonnets can’t be far away - may be numbing peoples’ palates to more refined flavours.

It’s just struck me, Beaujolais has, I believe , a grading system that includes ABV with Beaujolais villages requiring higher alcohol.

Not this again!
This is one of the most preposterous opinions that I see on this board, and it pops up with some regularity.
First of all, I would perhaps agree that it might be in the top five, but only if you exclude all red wines.
Also, arguing that something from Germany is inherently superior to all other examples of its species is, as they say, “bad optics.“

The article title says white wine grape. Though I can’t see the article (yet), not all riesling is from Germany.

I try and not and dub things the greatest, its so subjective. There is such a thing as popular opinion and consensus, however those are not absolutes.

That all said, I personaly find Riesling to be the most versatile and fun. Its like a Swiss army knife of grapes and I love it for that.

“There are no great wines, just great bottles.”
Now, where have I heard that?

I do think there is a serious point, which is the disconnect between its general reputation (poor) and quality (great, if not the greatest).

Exactly this point.

Ditto.

The article was really about German Riesling and climate change, and 2019 vs 2018 vintages. Mosel is not cool climate lately.

I dunno. There’s a lot of great riesling being made these days, almost too much. I think among different grape varietals, riesling has probably had some of the great benefit from climate change.

I’m good with all three, especially if the Chenin is from South Africa.

Riesling used to be really big and people like Jancis keep trying to resurrect it.But to paraphrase Yogi, if people don’t want to drink it, you can’t stop them. In the 70s, when I worked for a wine store, we sold '71s like there was no tomorrow. California rieslings sold well. Then more and more people started to make chardonnay here in California. Italian white wine became something drinkable. People on low carb diets eschewed the residual sugar.

There are lots of theories about what happened to riesling…kinda like what happened to Sherry and Port.

Aromatic whites are becoming more popular but is riesling along for the ride??

The argument for riesling is great. Goes well with the kind of food many of us eat. Enjoyable on its own. A friend of mine used to call it ‘hammock’ wine.

Would love to have read it, don’t have a subscription though. I get the Times.

Greatest white wine grape.

I’d agree with her position more if she removed the word “white.” Riesling is king!