TN'S: A Thursday Night Whose Wines Did Not Suck: 10 CFE & 13 Clape

• 2010 Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile - France, Alsace (10/3/2020)
    It takes around 2.47 seconds after the first sip to know this is a high quality vintage for the Ol’ Cuvee Freddy E. Comes across as a hybrid of fleshy white peach and lemons; ripe yes, a touch of sweetness sure, but boatloads of gravelly back end structure ensure this train stays on the track. Citrus rinds give a slightly bitter finish that played really well off the earlier described sweetness - who doesn’t love a little sweet and sour? I would hazard a guess that this would technically measure out in high acidity, but it’s not really that apparent as it carries its trademark elegance and class that simply shine in the best vintages. This is clearly one of those. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2013 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/3/2020)
    I believe this was decanted for 2hrs give or take. While the nose was solid, this was borderline spectacular to taste, or at least for my hack palate. Certainly dark fruit themed, perhaps black currant with an ever so slight dried herbal underlay, black olive and iron shavings, and a finishing touch of cured meat. The real praise here is the ever hard to articulate but I know it when I taste it – balance. Perfectly poised and aligned in its separate parts that the whole package was a joy to drink, irrespective of its clearly early days. Seems to me a fair amount of 13 N Rhones are performing ahead of where they had been originally forecasted at. At any event, I loved this and if you have a few, give one a go. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Two great wines, good to read such nice notes on them.