02` Krug, 08` Philipponnat CdG, 10` Jobard Charmes, 90` Jabot Gev-Cham, 03` BV Georges, 01` Dalla Valle

Six of us enjoyed a fabulous evening with dinner in the restaurant at the elite luxury resort, El Encanto. We were seated on the perimeter of the outside patio with allowed for even more stellar views of the ocean and an epic sunset followed almost immediately by a glorious orange moonrise.

28F68DB7-9BED-4D59-9324-A81C8779C911_1_201_a.jpeg
We were served by a consummate waitstaff person who has graced my tables for many years. Also, the new sommelier volunteered to provide proper wine service {we usually do our own} and even pulled out some personal decanters that were truly unique {see photos}.
D4F6522D-43E0-4CF5-A3F5-8CC70D784E9B_1_201_a.jpeg
7BAB4C52-9B7C-4F82-B137-943795808B62_1_201_a.jpeg

While enjoying great friends, positive non-political conversations and fine food, we drank exceptionally well:

2002 KRUG BRUT- this release was named by the house as “Ode to Nature” and as stated on their website “to express the music of an extremely serene and generous year with perfect conditions for highly-expressive wines centered around fruit of all types with a beautiful structure, great intensity and elegance.”; the ID code, 315063, informs us that this is made of 39% Pinot Noir, 40% Chardonnay and 21% Pinot Meunier and that the bottler spent 13 years in the cellar and the cork was inserted in the summer of 2015; the 02 was actually released after the 03 and it is really shining presently; our bottle was stupendous with loads of aromatics, flavors, texture, body and length; the inviting nose had brioche, ginger and spice laden golden delicious apple, yellow peach, lemon, orange peel and papaya and all continued on to be joined by accents of honey, caramel and buttered toast; it was so beautifully textured that all my tactile sensory receptors on my tongue and palate went wild and this might have been its hallmark although it had so much going for it; basically, it just exuded class and excellence with subtle power and and yet amazing finesse; the best vintage Krug Ive had in a while. \ \ ![AC58A416-AD67-4904-B2A9-E6DFAF1600D5_1_201_a.jpeg|1873x3131](upload://wQBdi8ca0t5NCa6foUuHsRvuOzM.jpeg) ![CFED5047-88D8-4D28-B15C-D610EC6AC1BB_1_201_a.jpeg|835x1138](upload://wDGnZ23HvyorMK3o3781VRpvMks.jpeg) 2008 PHILIPPONNAT CLOS des GOISSES EXTRA BRUT- the back label had lots of disclosures that stated this is comprised of 55% Chardonnay and 45% Pinot Noir which is unusual as Pinot Noir is more often the highest percentage; it was disgorged Sept. 2017 at 4.5 gpl, thus an extra brut; mindful of my first few bottles of the 08 Cristal, it was very tight and ungiving, but it was real obvious it has the potential to shine ever so brightly; it had bracing acidity, loads of citrus fruit with lemon and lime most evident along with apple and pear and accents of saline, chalk and brioche; it had a creamy mousse, was very rich and full bodied; I kept swirling in hopes that it would give a bit more and when it held back, I wanted to decant it. I’ll wait for a year to open another bottle.

B867093E-1C78-4E63-92B1-54E9ED649098_1_201_a.jpeg
33AB6854-CDC9-415E-B71C-E28CD7977FE1_1_201_a.jpeg
2010 DOMAINE ANTOINE JOBARD MEURSUALT-CHARMES 1er Cru- a friend brought this and almost didn’t pull it out in favor of another’s PYCM, but it did come out and thankfully so as this was super good; it had really nice aromatics of mineral infused citrus, yellow flowers, pear and apple, an oily, viscous texture, full body and long finish. I kept going back to it and each sip was as good as the last and I wanted more, but there’s many wines to go. We’re off to a great start.

Jobard wines have been imported by Kermit Lynch starting back when Antoine`s father, Francois, who started in the 1970s, was making the wine. They work together presently and age their wines in barrel and allow for a lengthy period of time sur lie. The Jobards are known to be one of the last to release their wines every year as they use patience while vinifying including slow malolactic fermentations. That was evidenced by the complexity, full body, lush, creamy texture and abundant flavor profile.

2BA63EDE-0466-47CB-AFFB-9C73FB4FC36E_1_201_a.jpeg
1990 LOUIS JADOT GEVREY-CHAMBERTIN- although only a village wine, it consists of fruit from a fantastic vintage and was made by an iconic winemaker; I couldn’t have been happier for the way it showed; the color was a dark red purple without any signs of aging; the nose had ripe red and dark fruit with spice and a hint of cinnamon which continued on in the taste profile with more distinct black raspberry, burnt red cherry, strawberry and an additional accent of clove; it was full bodied, had a really soft and easy mouthfeel and a nice and welcomed long finish strutting its stuff throughout; and with all of that, its perfect balance may have been its hallmark. IMHO, there’s no wine that’s better than a good red Burg.

BC66BEA8-1579-48C6-890B-BA26C46D3E5D_1_201_a.jpeg
2003 BEAULIEU VINEYARD GEORGES DE LATOUR PRIVATE RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- this was brought by one whose lady prefers to drink Cabernet, but it became obvious that we all would be getting a taste and thankfully so as it was a very good wine ready to give and give it did; leather, cedar, cigar box laden black currant, plum and blackberry made up a pleasing taste profile; it had unfolding layers of complexity, a soft tannic structure which should ensure longevity and a strong finish; I’m very happy to have had it.

4C347541-8911-4248-8CDA-719E7D835722_1_201_a.jpeg
2001 DALLA VALLE VINEYARDS CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- this joined the Krug as being one of the best of its kind I’ve had in a while, in this case, a Napa Cab; it was stupendous; the color was a still youthful vibrant dark purple; the nose had lovely accents of leather, eucalyptus and mocha to enhance the marvelous blueberry and black currant fruit; once tasted, I also got black cherry and milk chocolate notes; it had a velvety feel, serious complexity and a long sustained finish and all of this while maintaining beautiful balance. Loved it!

18BB6DAA-39E1-42BA-A86B-11581C0EBDC1_1_201_a.jpeg
While writing up these TNs, I’m thinking this may have been one of the best showings of a collection of wines in one sitting I’ve had in months and it happened from the first to the last bottle. No flaws, no TCA, no Brett, no severe oxidation, just pure, righteous juice.

More importantly was the gathering of the 3 couples sharing a wonderful dinner together while being blessed with a classic sunset and moonrise observed from a location situated high up on the Santa Barbara Riviera. Additional views of the City below and the Pacific Ocean with the Channel Islands in the background added to the magic of the evening. Great night.
3A714E35-0FB5-40D7-A656-4D2B95245B78_1_201_a.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake

Nice work Blake, although you have listed the Jobard as Charmes-Chambertin and not Meursault-Charmes.

Thanks for the heads up Jeremy.

Blake,

You are living life right! Sounds like an Awesome night, even though that CdG didn’t seem to show that well I’d love to try it. always great when the wines you weren’t hyped to try surprise you so pleasantly. (I’m sure That view Was… [cheers.gif] )

We can’t keep up with all these amazing wine nights, Blake Brown! You are relentless.

Long live the relent, my friend [cheers.gif]

05D5AC1E-D1BB-409D-8855-8E187FBAEC40.jpeg
Just happened to open the 2002 Krug also.
Had it with friends and it was drinking like a dream!

Thanks Nick. As I stated, life is good. I’m ensuring longevity by being constantly pickled.

Agreed Robert. We had the ambience of nature and the universe.

I like the “dream” connotation Ken. That fits perfectly.

Dalla Valle is one of the most underrated Cabernet producers there is…1991, 92, 94, 95, 96, 98, 01 were all killer.

Yes!
Our friends had never had Krug before and they fell in love.
They did open a 2001 Latour which was just ok.

I have one bottle of vintage Krug, am unlikely to buy another, but it appears as though the 02 is a good one to have. Thanks for the note

Neal, our dinner group has surprisingly had lots of less than good vintage Krug over the last few years and I’ve kind of shied away from acquiring more and have been hesitant to open up any I have. e.g. the last 3 bottles of the 96 were oxidized, a 90, 95 98 and 00` were really not all that good and I’m scratching my head to figure out what happened bc this was my go to Les Grandes Marques until I replaced it with Louis Roederer particularly Cristal. I’m kind of recharged now at least to try a bottle.

I am not a huge fan of the house, and find the vintage to be wildly over-priced for the quality given alternatives. But I got a deal on this one 02. I figured I’d wait another 4-5 years, but your note gives me hope

your enthusiasm is fun to read. I’ve become a bit jaded and find myself looking at wine defects rather than the attributes. I should refocus like you.

To be fair, I have to say that a few of the Grand Cuvee have been very good of late, especially the 164 eme which has consistently been outstanding. As to opening the 02`, I was so pleasantly surprised and overly ecstatic about how it showed and couldn’t avoid praising it throughout the evening and in my notes and even now as I recall how unbelievably good it was. I hope you have the same experience whenever you open it.

Three of us had the Philipponnat CdG 2006 the other night, and it was not tight at all. My contribution was the Vilmart Grand Cellier, and I think we all actually preferred that. Two beautiful wines consumed oceanside in an historic gazebo on the property I occasionally rent north of Boston. Good times.

Alan, I’ve had my fair share of flawed wines and almost got caught up in the woe is me syndrome, but a big part of my life’s focus is to see the good in everything and everyone and be thankful for it so I’ve moved on and defer to the half full philosophy. Thanks for reminding me to continue this focus.

Happy to hear that and not all that surprised as most all CdGs I`ve had have shown nicely out of the gate albeit with lots more to give with maturation. This is the first time I’ve ever had one that was that tight and shut down and I’m thinking that is more of a vintage issue as it has been for some others, as I said, Cristal.

Also, I’ve had a few of the 07` and they have been very good early on and suggestive of a lot more coming.