TN: 2009 Jean Foillard Cote du Py

A check in on the 09’, which I have not tasted in years, and a follow up to the 05’ note from last week.

This was also PnP in a restaurant, with friends we have not dined with in a couple years.

If the 2005 was in the maroon / burgundy color group, and a fresh Beaujolais is in the ruby / crimson color group, then this was in the garnet / scarlet color group. It was deeper, darker and richer that the 2016’s I have been drinking. Which (I am guessing) would probably be expected because of the properties of the vintage. But it was nowhere near as dark or opaque as the 2005 from last week.

Putting my nose into the glass after the first swirl transported me to springtime and a field of fresh red fruits ready to be picked and the accompanying floral scents. After this first deep smell, I took my nose out of the glass, looked up at my dining companions, none of whom are wine geeks, and smiled broadly. They then all laughed at me.

The taste was more of the same, lots of fresh red fruit and great acidity. But with a little more hiding in it vs. a 2014/2016. What was hiding? I am not sure, but there was just a tad more there. However, the darker notes from the 2005; subtle forrest floor, mushrooms, dark plum skin, they have not yet emerged, or the fruit still has enough power to hide them. There was some very fine sediment at the bottom of the bottle, which added a little dirt (there’s the forrest floor) to the last glass.

For me, this wine is in an absolutely perfect spot. More complexity than 2014/2016. But unlike 2015 (which has been compared to 2009) the 2009 has calmed down with age and doesn’t punch you in the face when you take a drink. But while this is in a great spot, I think there is lots of life left and I am in no hurry to consume my remaining bottles. I am looking forward to following these bottles over the coming years.

Note that the pic does appear slightly darker than I noted in person.

Great note on a great wine!

We had the this about a week ago along the 2009 Lapierre Morgon N. Both were great, but people generally preferred the Foillard.

2009 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (9/26/2020)
Tasted next to the 2009 Lapierre Morgon N. This was more complex and red fruited, with strawberries and cherries on the gorgeous nose. Deep and a bit darker on the palate with nice acidity and dark cherries/berries flavors. Long finish. I preferred this to the Lapierre, but both wines are amazingly young and delicious. Awesome! 94

Just had this last night. Smells of summer. briars and berries and thistles and summer. The coat of fruit and body is slimmed down to the nitty gritty. Really lovely wine and a joy to taste

I agree, this is a great vintage for Foillard and clearly superior to any of the Lapierre bottles we have had from 09.

Opened my 1st of 4 back in May. In very good drinking spot and am glad that the rest stayed in the remote storage just to make it harder for me to get to them.