A few early 2019 wines from Wyncroft/Marland (Michigan)

Here are a few wines I tried over the last few months while visiting Jim Lester.

2019 Wyncroft Pinot Noir Lepage Estate - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore, Fennville (10/5/2020)
Barrel sample at the winery. This young wine was still aging and showed a very soft profile with lively red fruits. A bit atypical for a Wyncroft Pinot but it should be a very nice earlier drinking wine. 87-89 points.

2019 Wyncroft Shou Lepage Estate - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (10/5/2020)
Barrel sample at the winery. The final blend of this wine will very close close to equal parts Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. Jim poured barrel samples of the CS and CF for me. 2019 produced a smaller crop and the growing conditions were not ideal. However, the samples I tasted were very nice especially the CS which had a lovely floral aroma with round tannins and rich red fruit. The CF had a little funk on the nose at present but the palate was filled with cassis and ripe tannins. No score.

2019 Wyncroft Chardonnay Avonlea Vineyard - USA, Michigan, Lake Michigan Shore (9/8/2020)
Tasted a sample at the winery. This was very clean without any buttery notes despite going through Malolactic fermentation. Notes of baked apples and quince. 89 points.

2019 Marland Pinot Noir - USA, Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula (9/8/2020)
Tasted a sample from bottle at the winery. This is Jim’s second label using purchased Michigan fruit The grapes for this wine were sourced from the Bel Lago and Brengman vineyards near Traverse City. Very bright with light cherry notes and solid acidity. A very good buy at $19. 88 points.

VM

Next trip up through Michigan, I will try to stop there. Thanks for the notes.