Forman

Dear Friends,

Forman Vineyard was spared, but not without an enormous anxiety-filled effort. My wife, Cheryl, and I stayed as long as we dared as flames approached. Cheryl helped me haul a fire hose fed from a pump in the pool. We did our best to soak the surroundings and then had to leave, almost certain that this would be the last time we would see our property whole again – gut wrenching!

A very courageous group of firefighters (hired after the 2017 fire experience) thankfully took over and miraculously saved the winery using the water enhancer gel, “Thermo-Gel.” Fifty foot flames surrounded the winery on all sides incinerating the dry forest around the buildings. Nothing dry in it’s path was spared except the winery and a still green vineyard. Thankfully, all grapes had already been harvested. Truly a miracle! We now must begin the massive job of replacing hundreds of feet of burned water and electric lines that extend through the burned forest to the water tanks and well.

Forman wine from the 2020 vintage will be dubbed “The Miracle Wine.” It survived smoke taint due to our plateaued perch above the valley floor and below the upper ridges of the Howell Mountain smoke from the fire 3 weeks ago. The property over the last 37 years has never ceased to amaze me – a magical place even under these extraordinary circumstances.

This is an historic event for the Napa Valley. One light at the end – we probably will not see a major fire in our area for a long time – not much kindling left.

Thank God and all of those who have helped and given moral support. We love you all from the depth of our hearts and are so very, very sorry for those who have not fared as well during this devastatingly sad event.

Sincerely,
Ric

Very happy to read this, I was scared to ask.

Great news! Thanks for putting that message up.

Ed

I’m so happy to read this.

Wonderful news. One on my five favorite vineyards in the state

Ric posted a picture on IG. Amazing and wonderful that they were saved. Let’s all do whatever we can to support wineries and other effected by these terrible fires.

I was just thinking of Ric the other day. I was thinking that before our first son was born in the summer of 1990 he gave my wife and me a great tour of the winery. He took us down to his caves that he had dug himself. Every aspect of his winery was built by him, personally providing the design and labor. I felt so inadequate since I can barely do my own oil changes. He is like a stockier version of Casey Hartlip :slight_smile:
Anyhow, I am glad to see he is still at it. In truth, I was assuming his son had taken over the winery operations by now. I have to think he is close to 80 by now.