TN: 2017 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard

• 2017 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (10/5/2020)
    Frustrating day, so I wanted something reliably delicious. Dirty & Rowdy and Evangelho Vineyard both tick the boxes. The 2017 is fresh, lively and quite slurpable, with the typically sappy Evangelho fruit on display in a lighter form than in some years. That just makes it more delineated, and within a few minutes it fans out completely like a magician displaying a deck of cards. Fruit, earth, herb, spice - it’s all there, and floating along an underlying structure that is all but invisible. Before I know it the glass is empty. The magician has turned another trick.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds delicious!

How much do you usually age these? I have a lot of D&R from 2013-16, and I find myself waiting, waiting, waiting…

I still have 2013s (few) and 2014s (many), so I am not just drinking them up, but I rarely worry about whether it’s too soon. If the wine is a bit closed in I either decant it, or just cork it up until the next night. That always works.

And nothing has been tired so far. I doubt it will be any time soon. The balance on these wines is too good for them to topple over such a short time period.

Great note David. Had this wine the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have had numerous bottles of D&R Mourvedre the past few years and they always have a signature “fragrance” which we love. This bottle had it and then some, a combination of raspberry-strawberry with hints of darker blueberry essence. Absolutely incredible aroma and the flavors followed just as well.
Hardy would probably like to forget about 2017 but this wine was outstanding!

I’ve been enjoying both the 17 and 18 this week, 17 actually feels like it has more room to grow, definitely a sturdier body with some tannins that (at least on pop and pour) beg for more time or air. I’ll check back in later to see if it catches up to 18s youthful exuberance.

I wonder if this is the source of the ‘18 Becheur mourvedre? Sounds similar in style

zero chance.

DanielP, the ‘zero chance’ is based on inside info or assumptions about style/ practices?

Just received the holiday offer from Dirty and Rowdy.

HOLIDAY 6 PACK $248
2018 Shake Ridge Ranch Mourvèdre
2018 Enz Vineyard Old Vine Mourvèdre
2018 Outer Limits Old Vine Mourvèdre
2019 Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2019 Skin Fermented Semillon
2019 Familiar Mourvèdre

I have not tried their wines, is this a good selection to get an idea of their style? Good value? Really interested in trying the mourvèdres

It’s a very nice starter pack. It takes you across all the elements of their styles.