Which Falanghina interest you?

TN: 2017 Paternoster Vulcanico Falanghina, Basilicata Italy.

13% alc, $27 Cda, good natural cork, decanted.

The color is a medium straw yellow with some light green tinges. The aromatics just flow out of the glass on opening…apple, “smokey” from across the room The volcanic eruption did us some flavors eh! The nose is persistent and very appealing with some wild white flowers and fruit.
Initial entry thought is dryish, citrus, minimal hint of grapefruit. There is some herbal quality here, medium acidity, pineapple too.This is a very polished wine but could not find the carnations others talk about. Buy again for sure, volcanic wines are currently one of the hot topics in our wine world.

Nice note Bob. I’ve like the Falanghina wines from Feudi in the past and have some “aged” ones in boxes that I’ve forgotten about until now :slight_smile:. Wonderfully flavorful wines that are definitely from that place - completely enjoyable and fun wines.

I’ve only had one from Falerno del Massico DOC. It was a lovely wine with loads of minerals and acid too. Another thread:
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/falanghina-fan-club/156496/27

Ridge recently released a 2019 to members, https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/2019-mendocino-falanghina, which I have very much enjoyed.

Feudi di San Gregorio
La Sibilla
Contrada Salandra

Just to name a few…

+1 Ridge, I really enjoyed too!

I Pentri Flora Falanghina is awesome.

I’ve enjoyed Arnot Roberts Falanghina.

Mastroberardino usually makes a delicious one.

2018 Fontanavecchia Falanghina Del Sannio (Campania, Italy)
Some spicy notes, some more exotic honeysuckle, lanolin inflections, but there’s an underlying briny, oyster shell note. It’s linear, taut and just a great drink. So good that I ordered another bottle the following night.

Wines labelled Falanghina can be made of two entirely different varieties, which makes finding the flavors you’re after a bit tricky. I work with both of them and I drink both of them but they do taste distinctly different. The wines grown near Benevento, such as the Fontanavecchia Kent mentioned above and the I Pentri, are made from Falanghina Beneventana, and the ones from nearer Naples are typically made from Falanghina Flegrea.