A Gigondas (and garrigue intrigue?)

The color is an almost opaque dark crimson, fading to translucent at the rim. Musty and dusty fruit greet the nose. A brief thin mouthfeel, quickly goes thick with chewy fruit and spicy, peppery tannins that hit like a soft gloved punch from a heavyweight. The finish is warming and lingering. I liked the wine.

The wine was a 2015 Kirkland Signature Gigondas and was “not bad” at all. I often hear the word “garrigue” used to describe part of the taste profile of Southern Rhone reds and maybe it fits here. Scrubby mix of Mediterranean herbs growing in the soil pockets on rocky ground is the sense that I have of it. I enjoyed the wine with spaghetti and three-meat homemade meatballs. I think this wine would also be a good match for steak au poivre.

I would welcome other insights into this “garrigue” taste? Also, any Gigondas impressions and recommendations if you have them.

I think you were spot on with your description of Mediterranean herbs for “garrigue”. If you’ve ever been to Provence, the whole area smells like thyme, rosemary, lavender and that one shrub that grows everywhere. That’s what I think of when I taste herbaceousness in southern Rhône.

As for producers, I love Santa Duc and like Le Grand Montmirial(sp). I’ve heard St Cosme is great but have never had one.

The 2007 St. Cosme is the one that got my wife asking for more Gigondas. Not necessarily a representative vintage, but it hit the spot for her.

We’ve been to Gigondas and tasted there. We love the wines. You can find pleasure at many price points. $15-$90.
On the higher end Domaine Bosquets is great all the way down to more moderately priced Domaine Saint-Damien. St Cosme is always consistently good.

I have had Gigondas as old as 2001 and as young as 2017 and we love them all for different reasons.
There are some great wines in nearby appellations as well so look at Beaumes de Venise, Ventoux, Vacqueyras. You may get as good a wine at a better price.

A postscript to this as I finish the bottle this evening . . .

This is a fairly versatile wine. Enjoyed it by itself and with a few meals. I can see how some call it rustic, as finesse would not be a word that I use to describe it. But it is an enjoyable wine with a wide enough taste profile that different aspects of the taste can be “featured” depending on what the food is. Tonight we had eggplant parm and the acidity of the tomato sauce and the (for lack of a better word) earthiness of the eggplant set the stage for a subdued, earthy, smoky, herbal, dark fruited performance. The bright fruit took a break and the dark fruit was even off to the side. It is fascinating sometimes drinking a “chameleon” wine.

That’s garrigue!

Domaine du Cayron is calling you.

Following on Cayron as suggested above, Les Pallieres has a couple of cuvees worth checking out.

Chambers and Rimmerman also bring in Longue Tocque sometimes, TN: 1990 Dom. de Longue Tocque [Gigondas] - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I quite like Gigondas, and as the the leaves fall this is the time to start uncorking some.

We are huge fans of the Kirkland Gigondas and your definition of Garrigue is spot on. Cayron 1995 was my second case purchase when I was getting into wine. Purchased bottles as far back at 1985 at auction and they were all delicious examples of the area.

Spot on with the garrigue description! For me, I keep Domaine Brusset and E. Guigal Gigondas in my cellar