Fontaine Gagnard

I have never bought this estate’s wine because of their reputation as the King of Premature Oxidation. Their grands crus are, however, significantly cheaper on the lists I get. If you happen to buy a good bottle will there be there good wine in it?

There criots can be fabulous, or dead…

I was lucky, I never had a premoxed bottle from them.
When the bottle is sound it´s a good to very good producer - not the very top but satisfying (several Chassagne 1er Crus, Batard and Montrachet itself)

From the pricing I’ve seen, the Grand Crus have really shot up in price from Fontaine Gagnard as well in the last couple of vintages. Generally, if back vintages are cheaper, there will tend to be a reason for that - i.e. a higher than average chance the wine is shot. Of course, Ramonet doesn’t appear to get that same risk discount :slight_smile:! I would think recent vintages (say '14s on) are relatively good odds if the price is right and you’re planning to drink soonish.

Thanks very much for the advice.

I bought a few 2002s on release and they were delicious as young wines, albeit with quite showy oak. Unfortunately the Criots was dead as a 6 yr old wine.

I took at chance on recent Batard and Criots-Batard. Actually 2018s. I think the wines are brilliant when sound.

The reds are great values, and very hard to find. Or at least that used to be the case, haven’t bought any since the 2005s. In the last few months, I’ve had both the Pommard Rugiens and Chassagne Clos St Jean from 1999. The Pommard was more ready to drink, but both showed very well with enough air.

The 2014 Batard is the best young white burgundy I ever had…

They have had their share of ox problems but Criots, Batard and Montrachet are all splendid when on.

I bought a few 04s on release and drank them young—delicious.
I didn’t buy after that because of fear of the monster.

Why are they oxidizing so fast? Cork issue?

read the premox thread. Corks are certainly a factor. Batonnage, less sulfur, gentler presses, and so forth.

A recent 2016 Criots was stupendous