TN: 2018 Morgen Long Chardonnay Volcanic (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

Took a flyer on some Seth Morgen Long Chards after Marcus praised them in a thread here a while back. Really good first encounter.

• 2018 Morgen Long Chardonnay Volcanic - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (10/9/2020)
    Electric, steely, very coiled right now. Green apple and lemon drop and a very long and edgy finish with mineral notes and citrus zings. Fantastic energy on night one. See what the last half of bottle does on night two.

Posted from CellarTracker

Quite the Oregon exploration Dennis. Thanks for the note. I’ve never tried a Morgen long but heard good things. Sounds like it delivered despite its youth.

RT

Thanks, Richard. I have gone-in on Oregon this year. Really like this Chardonnay. Think it would be up your alley if you were inclined to give it a shot. Relative value plays, for now, which is nice. Cheers.

Oregon Chard has pretty much replaced all of my White Burg purchases. It’s not a full substitute but scratches the itch. I REALLY miss good/great Chablis but the QPR is no longer there for regular enjoyment IMHO. The challenge is where to find room for more OR Chard considering the cellar inventory of Cameron, Goodfellow and Crowley. Don’t own any Walter Scott but I’d own a bunch if access was easier. When did owning too much wine ever stop a Geek from buying?

Keep up the exploration. Enjoying your notes.

RT

Yep. Me too, for the most part. Thanks.

We visited with Seth this Summer. He has a laser like focus on making the best Chardonnay he can. Really enjoyed his wines and spending time discussing them with him. Calling him passionate would be an understatement in a good way.

I’ve known Seth for a long time (went to high school together) but only reconnected with him earlier this year when I bought a six pack of his 2018’s and he delivered them to my house. The Marine bottling was my favorite but his wines are exceptional across the board and IMHO are at the top of Chardonnays being produced here in Oregon.

1 Like

[cheers.gif]

Cool stuff. I have some Marine, too, going to check on that one next!

Nice to see a tasting note on the Volcanic Chardonnay - I’m currently building a case with Avalon Wines/Northwest Wines in Portland and I’ve hovered over “add to cart” on the Volcanic several times. Hearing thought here might have helped me make my mind up.

One bottling I’m intrigued by is their solera offering “Memorie” - has anyone had the chance to try it out?

I just recently saw this (the Memorie) for sale and sounds fascinating. Were you able to try it? If so what did you think?

Give them a try. Seth is making some of the better Chardonnay in Oregon and he isn’t as hyped as others.

1 Like