TN: Cedric Bouchard Val Vilaine

1. Upon opening I thought this was going to be too acidic for my wife’s preference, but wow I was wrong. There is a strong acid presence Up front but it’s quickly enveloped by fresh Apple and Pears (just a hint of bruising maybe). Just a touch of Lemon to keep things zippy and framed with some structure. Really great balance. Has an explosion of carbonation at the start but settles in to really show its vinous quality. Great stuff!
1 Like

Such a wonderful bottle and entry into the Bouchard portfolio. I’ve had two bottles in the last few months and they’re spectacular. Also helps that’s they’re affordable and sourceable, especially compared to some of his other lieux dits.

Love it.

Just went to visit Cédric yesterday. As well as a vertical of Creux d’Enfer, a stunning magnum of 2008 Ursules (the best mature Bouchard wine I ever tasted, surpassing high expectations), and a few other bottles, we tried the newly-released 2018 Val Vilaine. It’s super demonstrative and fleshy, while remaining beautifully fresh: so it’s warmly recommended if you start to see bottles in the market.

Sounds like a lovely visit!

The 2018 is already on the market? How long does it spend on lees during secondary fermentation? That seems like quick turnout. Then again, I was confused the other day when reading at the back label of a Bereche NV I saw base 16. deg. 12/18 - my thinking was that with mininum 7 months for the vin clairs vinification and aging, plus 24 months for the secondary fermentation, you’d need close to 3 years from harvest for a Champagne to be released. But maybe I am missing something here?

The wine was disgorged in April this year, and it is labelled “V18”. Because of the rules you cite, it can’t be labelled “Vintage/Millésime 2018”, but it derives entirely from the 2018 vintage and for simplicity’s sake that’s how I refer to it!

Nice notes, I absolutely love his wines. The Creux d’Enfer of which William speaks is Bouchard’s only rose and a unicorn wine for me.

Feels like Cedric’s wines are marked by their constant evolution (even within the same sitting of drinking the wine) but always striking to me how this wine often shows almost more like a wine made from chardonnay rather than pinot (often reminds me of white burgundy crossed with champagne).

I love these wines so much. And the Val Vilaine is a great starting point that—much like Fourrier’s Gevrey VV for instance—previews why the whole range of wines are so special. Up and down the portfolio they have this elegant vinous quality and electric freshness that’s unique and really attractive.

I couldn’t resist one on the shelf last week during my travels. I don’t always like Vilaine, but when I have, it’s been fabulous.

Vilaine for $80 is one of the all time champagne steals for the quality.

I loaded up on this (January arrival down here in NZ), Thanks for the early note William

Drank a 2008 Inflorescence in February that really hit a high note.

Thanks for the report William. I’ve ordered a bunch of the '18s already, glad to hear I chose wisely!

This hurts so much - in Australia the price is A$170 (US$123), with the Les Ursules at A$230, similar markups for Egly-Ouriet, which turns me off to try their wines. Can’t wait to travel to Europe and go deep into all these beautiful Champers!

champagne.gif

OUCH, $95 NZD by the 6 six pack across the Tasman

If only life was so simple! I would then have to pay the 29% Australian wine-tax because I am “importing” wine into the country! [wow.gif]

So who else bought the other three bottles of Val Vilaine from NY Wine Warehouse? This reminded me to buy, and I saw one go, I picked up two and then someone or two picked up the remaining two bottles.

After this tasting and Williams 18 recommendation I bought the last 3 - 2018 From Gordon’s. $80 is getting up there but in this case worth it.

I had the V18 for the first time today. It’s also the first Val Vilaine that I’ve had. Lip smacking stuff. Ordered another 12 bottles.

1 Like