What? Gamay from The Loire.

We had one of our periodic social distancing dinner parties in our back yard with a couple we have known for over 30 years that is retiring southwards. They always bring us a bottle of oddball wine despite our standing request that we want to be as net negative as possible. Today it was a bottle of Gamay from The Loire. Terres Blondes Gamay. I did not even know they grew Gamay in The Loire, let along bottle it as a red wine. I see that Rose d’Anjou seems to be a Gamay from The Loire, but red wine? Anyone have any serious experience with this?

Clos Roche Blanche used to make a wonderful Loire Gamay before they retired from the business a few years ago. It’s not so unusual.

1 Like

Not at all unusual. Chidaine makes a tasty one that costs all of $16.

Yes they do! I had one a few months ago from a producer who’s name escapes me because I didn’t take notes or log it into CT. Bought it from Vinopolis here in Portland and paid around $17 for it and it was delicious. I’ll ask them what producer it was the next time I drop by the shop and will post the name.

It’s pretty common and often blended with Côt, Pineau d’Aunis, and/or Cabernet Franc. Most of my Loire Gamay and Gamay blends are bottled as Vin de France, though the grapes mostly originate from Touraine.

So you’re surprised by the variety that is the second-most planted red variety in the region? [scratch.gif]

To me that sounds similar to somebody being surprised to learn that they grow Merlot in California.

I mean, if you buy a random Loire red that isn’t a Cab Franc, most likely it’s going to be a Gamay or a Gamay blend.

Look for red wine from the “Côte Roannaise” AOP. Made form Gamay, and while it is the Loire Technically it is much closer to Beaujolais than the more famous regions of the Loire…

Prepare to get BLOWN away by gamay from the RHONE!

Well, technically most of the Beaujolais region lies within the Rhône department… [tease.gif]

Souhaut. Major yum.

How does loire gamay pair with sushi?

Starkist endorses it.

Noir do well.

I do not fashion myself as an expert on every grape grown in every region, and since I find many red wines from the Loire region to be insipid and tasteless, I have allocated my wine education time to more fruitful endeavors. Pun intended.

Ha, you gotta admit that Otto owned you there! Nice retort, though. [snort.gif]

Love,
The Insipid and Tasteless One.

How did you like the wine? I have had Gamay from the Loire, but not enough to say I have “serious experience” with this grape as I did not find what I tasted to be all that special. I very much prefer to drink Robert’s Cabernet Franc based wines from the Loire, although I cannot believe I am giving him the satisfaction of actually writing this down for him to see.

Is it because of my innate modesty?

Jay, try a Loire Pinot Noir as well! Though, they call it “Sancerre Rouge”. Cotat wins.

You can’t blame Jay H. for this. His friends all knew not to waste the good stuff (like Clos Roche Blanche gamay) on someone who drank SQN

neener

The Loire is a rather long river. Roanne, a source of excellent Gamay is 350km from Chinon.