Recs for a CA Horizontal Tasting

I am hosting a small dinner/tasting on Saturday.

What are your thoughts on which three bottles from which one vintage?

Greer: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Maybach Materium: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Realm Dr. Crane: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Shafer Hillside Select: 2013, 2014

If Shafer HSS is one of the bottles, then limited to just 2013 and 2014 of two of Greer, Maybach, Dr. Crane.

I love all of these, but would really like ones that are drinking well now and may provide some nice comparisons with the other bottles.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

FWIW: I am serving some A5 Wagyu (apps) and some Flannery Jorges for the beef courses.

Thanks much!

Tom

I’d probably do '14? '13 was a big year that should have more potential to age longer. I’d probably keep both of the HSS aging longer too though. Sounds like it should be a fun event.

My two cents…avoid including the 2013s in your tasting, you’ll only be let down, specifically the Realm and Shafer; they are completely shut down at the moment. I popped that 13’ Realm Dr. Crane earlier this year, even with a long decant it’s completely infanticide! A total shame! Even though I haven’t tried the 2013 Hillside Selleck recently, I tried it on release (at Shafer) and it’s a beast that will likely need several more years to be enjoyable. However, I did try the recent 2016 HS last month which is totally open for business and a mind-blowing experience might I add! While the 2013 was savory and unexpressive, the 2016 is very fruit forward, complex and feminine. You’ll be doing high fives with your guests, it’s really that good! Assuming you stick with the wines, I’m calling the 2013 Maybach to be the best across the board in that vintage, mainly based on the style is probably being more accessible at the moment. Either way, good luck, and look forward to hearing back…

Hi Tom- ditto on 13. I wouldn’t think about those until the 10 year mark. It’s a vintage built to last. Have you looked at notes on CT ? You can usually get a general feel for how the wines are drinking. I’d do 14 and leave out the HSS but would confirm with notes from CT.

Sounds like a fun night. I opened the 14 Turnbull Black Label on Saturday. It was open for business after a short decant.

Cheers

Greer '14, '15, '16 - with 6 to 8 hour decant. Fantastic!

Thanks all.

Sounds like a 2014 Horizontal of Greer, Maybach, and Realm Dr. Crane.

If any other thoughts, be happy to hear.

Tom

I agree with the chorus, the 13s will benefit the most from more age, and the 14s are more open today.