TNs: PYCM, Gonon, Radikon, Baudry, Gravner Breg, Huet

I spent a few months bopping around with family and old friends. Decided to lug around some bottles.

2006 Huet Sec Le Mont
Also opened a 2019 D.S. CdB and 2010 Sec Le Mont, but the 2006 (I believe my last bottles) is weirdly one of my favorite vintages of Huet. Fully developed, really lovely and unctuous Chenin. I know people peg CdB as the king, but Le Mont is just so elegant in less bombastic vintages.

2005 Radikon Oslavje
Out of 500ml. Some great funk, fully resolved / past for some (great for my palate). A bit volatile but such a really wonderful nose and palate. Tons of sediment at the bottle but just a wonderfully resolved pitch. Was a great wine to have at the pool by sunset.

2001 Gravner Breg Anfora
Maybe a bit past. Very unctuous but not particularly complex. Good palate, but the nose was a bit single toned (a nice tone at that). Opened for a friend’s wife who loves orange wines. Good but not great.

2010 Bernard Baudry Grez
Have gone through over a case of these and have another case left. Some interesting variability (caveat, I bought ‘10s from 3 separate souces including grey market). This last bottle wasn’t as special as prior years, so I’m not sure if some of the magic is dulled at year 10, or if its variability. I have come to think 2012 might be better right now than 10, but the 10s excited me so much upon release that I hold out that in 5 more years they will keep that magic.

2014 PYCM St Aubin Remilly
Open with my wife, brother, and his wife. Lot of reduction upon open. Splash decanted for 30-45 mins. Nobody was blown away, although I think I liked this the most. Was really unctuous with lovely aromatics and some baby flint (no Coche), but didn’t get everyone excited. The acidity of the fruit is there and I could still sense it on day two. Probably needs some more time.

2011 Gonon St Joe
Opened with the same crew as the PYCM and everyone was blown away. Splash decanted for 1hr, just roared the whole time and was summarily drank over two hours. Superb integration and texture. Funky but not over the top. Such complexity. Talismanic St Joseph.

Depressing (albeit measured) note on the 2010 Baudry - say it ain’t so! I think we all loaded up on those beauties for all the right reasons. May need to check in on some myself.

Miss you guys, glad to see both of you posting back!

I had that 2010 Grez recently and thought it was fantastic. I had the 2010 La Croix Boissee last night. At this stage, I still think the Grez is better. Thought so early on as well, such a classic expression of Loire CF. I totally concur on that 2011 Gonon, one of my faves of the decade.

Naw, those of us in the know generally prefer Le Mont.

You think it improved with age? I had this recently from mag recently and thought it was pretty electric starting on day two.

I finished up within the next 3 months from purchase all 6 bottles of the 2010 Baudry Grezeaux I bought then and so I wouldn’t know what I’m missing out on today. I had retained in storage bottles of Clos Guillot and Croix Boissee rouge from the same vintage that I would hope would show better than your Grezeaux, Faryan.

I also had a 2011 Gonon St. Joseph 3 weeks ago and it was in impressive drinking form after decanting back into the bottle at 2 hours before our stay@home dinner and which carried over in day 2. I posted notes here, as well.

Btw, not often do I read about a so-so PYCM. Haven’t had the 2014 St. Aubin Remilly, but this vineyard by PYCM had always done me well with few other vintages that I had.

Matt - I wouldn’t be worried! I would say I had a special bottle just 1.5 years ago that had me dipping a bit too much in my stash since.
I just wanted to note a bottle that failed to meet the expectations of that recent superlative experience. Still a ridiculous steal at the px.

Maureen/Jay - good to hear :wink:

Ramon - I think some people who definitely fall head over for this style that PYCM represents. I do think that this bottle punches above its weight, but then again I prefer for the price a Prager or a Hirtzberger, so I have to note the bias.

Richard - good question. I think the oldest Gonon I’ve had was the 05 at a vertical prob 5 years ago that Ramon was at. I know some lucky duckies had the 89/90 library releases when Chambers started ramping Gonon, so I can’t speak to having that (limited) context…but I had no worry about this bottle falling over.

I do think it is worth asking how Gonon will look like at age 20 versus this run of spectacular young vintages age 5-10. We just don’t know.
I ask myself the same thing with Jamet and Allemand (albeit more like age 15 vs age 30-40).