Rhys Fall offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

Rhys Fall offer

#1 Post by Frank Z » October 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Not too sure if this offer is already past for most, but just got an email this morning getting onto the mailing list after about 1.5 years. I copied the email below, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew about the "Limited production sparkling wine made in collaboration with renowned Champagne producer Rodolphe Péters"?

Hello from Rhys Vineyards!

And thank you for your patience! We are very excited to offer you an invitation to join our mailing list. This offering showcases the first single vineyard estate wines from the remarkable 2018 vintage, a vintage that has quickly become a favorite. Critics have been in complete agreement, with Jeb Dunnuck remarking that the 2018s are “flawlessly balanced and excel on their complexity, elegance, and length.” Antonio Galloni had similar feelings, calling the 2018s “off the charts brilliant.” This first release will focus on the wines from the Alpine and Bearwallow vineyards as well as some of the smaller production wines. To read more about the vintage, see critic notes, and read about our recent retrospective tasting of every Rhys wine we’ve made, click HERE.

After purchasing, you will become a Rhys mailing list member and become eligible for exclusive offerings over the next year including:

Rhys’ biannual offerings of estate Pinot Noir and Chardonnays
Limited production sparkling wine made in collaboration with renowned Champagne producer Rodolphe Péters
Futures offerings of Rhys’ 2019 vintage production, including custom bottling formats
The Alpine Hillside and Horseshoe Hillside reserve Pinot Noirs produced from our flagship estate mountain vineyards
Click HERE to order now!

Allocations are reserved during the ordering period but please place your order by midnight, Saturday, October 31st as any remaining wine will be reallocated at that time. If you are not allocated a wine that you would like, it is possible to request the wine in the "Wish Request" field.

Ground shipping is included in the price of the wines and expedited shipping is available. We will begin shipping orders this fall to cooler states then monitor the weather for the rest of the country.

We have recently made changes to our eCommerce platform, ensuring a smoother and more efficient check-out process. If you have any questions please contact us at info@rhysvineyards.com or via phone at 866-511-1520.

Thank you again from all of us at Rhys!
Frank Zhang

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Rhys Fall offer

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Do a search. There are a few threads on the Rhys sparklers.

It has not gotten rave reviews.

I am all in for Horseshoe Syrah in this offering.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » October 13th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Agreed, taking all I can on Syrah, and the Chenin for that matter. Will round out with a smattering of Chard and Pinot.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

williamwhelan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by williamwhelan » October 13th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Grabbed a handful of PN and Chard. Considered the Chenin, but I doubt I'll ever convince myself to spend that kind of money on domestic CB.
ITB, DTC sales

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 13th, 2020, 2:33 pm

williamwhelan wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Grabbed a handful of PN and Chard. Considered the Chenin, but I doubt I'll ever convince myself to spend that kind of money on domestic CB.
Exactly. Even if I was a Chenin fan, why would I pay 50% more than the gold standard, Huet.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » October 13th, 2020, 2:40 pm

I like Chenin, and enjoy the different expressions. Rhys makes a good Chenin.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#7 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 13th, 2020, 3:09 pm

I was allocated one bottle of Chenin and will be buying it, pretty much out of curiosity; as David pointed-out, it is priced quite aggressively. Will probably take some Alpine Chard and Pinot, too, but that's it. I've been trying to do something to change that Rhys occupies a stupid/whopping 15% of our holdings; combine that with Arcadian, who works with the same varieties, and I'm looking at 25%. As much as I love Pinot, Chardonnay, and Syrah, and as much as I love Rhys and Arcadian, I've found myself getting pretty darned bored opening up my wine fridge to see mostly these selections ... gotta diversify.

has anyone tried the Chenin Blanc yet? What is it like? Comparable to anything from Loire? Comparable to Chappellet's version?
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Brian King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian King » October 13th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 3:09 pm
I was allocated one bottle of Chenin and will be buying it, pretty much out of curiosity; as David pointed-out, it is priced quite aggressively. Will probably take some Alpine Chard and Pinot, too, but that's it. I've been trying to do something to change that Rhys occupies a stupid/whopping 15% of our holdings; combine that with Arcadian, who works with the same varieties, and I'm looking at 25%. As much as I love Pinot, Chardonnay, and Syrah, and as much as I love Rhys and Arcadian, I've found myself getting pretty darned bored opening up my wine fridge to see mostly these selections ... gotta diversify.

has anyone tried the Chenin Blanc yet? What is it like? Comparable to anything from Loire? Comparable to Chappellet's version?
Brian - I tasted at Rhys in January. (Wow, that seems a lifetime ago!). It was quite good albeit very different than the Loire wines I drink (Huet, Foreau, Chidaine). Much less of the oil/petrol element than the Sec's from those producers - lighter in body but a very good wine. Like the comment above I'm a bit torn on price and ultimately passed, but it wasn't because the wine wasn't good.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#9 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 13th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Thanks, Brian. I appreciate that. I'll give it a try, but will do my best to not wish it to be something it isn't. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

William Anzalone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by William Anzalone » October 13th, 2020, 7:35 pm

I too received an allocation offer today after being on the wait list approx 1+ years. I placed an order today to dip my toes in the water to try Rhys based on all of the positive reviews from berserkers.

I ordered:
2018 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay
2018 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir
2018 Rhys Home Vineyard Pinot Noir x 2

And wish listed:
2018 Swan Terrace Pinot Noir

If anyone has a suggestion for a must try or wish list based on this allocation, please let me know what else I need to try.

Thanks
Bill
Last edited by William Anzalone on October 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.-Ben Franklin

2020 WsOTY:
1990 Ridge Monte Bello
2014 Bevan Cellars Tench EE
2008 Dom Perignon

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jud Reis » October 13th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Bill - if you like Syrah, I think Rhys makes among the best in California. Worth a try.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mike Evans » October 14th, 2020, 7:52 am

I second (or third, fourth, or fifth) the recommendations of the Horseshoe Syrah if you are a fan of classic Northern Rhône Syrah. The Alpine Chardonnay is also world class. For newcomers to the list, I think it is worth trying a bottle of the Bearwallow Pinot, which being from the deep end of the Anderson Valley is quite different than the rest of the lineup.

William Anzalone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by William Anzalone » October 14th, 2020, 8:46 am

Mike Evans wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 7:52 am
I second (or third, fourth, or fifth) the recommendations of the Horseshoe Syrah if you are a fan of classic Northern Rhône Syrah. The Alpine Chardonnay is also world class. For newcomers to the list, I think it is worth trying a bottle of the Bearwallow Pinot, which being from the deep end of the Anderson Valley is quite different than the rest of the lineup.
Jud Reis wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 7:39 pm
Bill - if you like Syrah, I think Rhys makes among the best in California. Worth a try.
Thank you for the suggestions. I just emailed them requesting to add a bottle of the Syrah to my order.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.-Ben Franklin

2020 WsOTY:
1990 Ridge Monte Bello
2014 Bevan Cellars Tench EE
2008 Dom Perignon

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Frank Z » October 14th, 2020, 8:58 am

Thanks for the info. Ended up grabbing two each of the Alpine Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Looking forward to trying one of each in the next couple years and laying the other down for much longer.
Frank Zhang

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Chris Seiber » October 14th, 2020, 9:13 am

I haven't gotten an email from Rhys. Is this a staged thing, where different groups get it at different times, or is everyone getting an offer now?

Last thing I got from Rhys was the Hillside offer in August.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 14th, 2020, 9:19 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:13 am
I haven't gotten an email from Rhys. Is this a staged thing, where different groups get it at different times, or is everyone getting an offer now?

Have you bought recently? If so, check spam folder.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Chris Seiber » October 14th, 2020, 9:33 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:19 am
Chris Seiber wrote:

Thanks. I guess I got it, but my iPhone didn't turn it up with the last few times I searched my email (as so often happens).

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Mike Evans » October 14th, 2020, 10:28 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:33 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 9:19 am
Chris Seiber wrote:

Thanks. I guess I got it, but my iPhone didn't turn it up with the last few times I searched my email (as so often happens).
I find the iPhone e-mail search function to be worse than useless.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » October 14th, 2020, 11:14 am

I bought each of the pinots. I have mostly let my Rhys wines age and have opened some delicious bottles this year.

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by JFPelletier » October 14th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:

I checked my account and I have an allocation, but did not get any emails.

JF

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#21 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Dang. Just noticed the Home Pinot is part of this offer; will be getting some of that, too.

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by JFPelletier » October 14th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Correction: I received the email, ended up in my junk folder.
Sorry for the mix-up!

JF

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 14th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Just opened a 2013 Swan Terrace. Holy shit!

I never “got” Swan Terrace, until tonight.

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by JFPelletier » October 14th, 2020, 4:24 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Opened a 2013 Horseshoe Pinot last week. It was excellent, these wines really show well with a bit of age.

JF

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Sean_S » October 14th, 2020, 5:19 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Wow, Those were my favorites when George did the massive Rhys verticle last year with our local Berserker offline group dinner with Kevin Harvey. That might have been due to palate fatigue by the time we got around to tasting the Alpine's and Shoes... I also love 13 as a vintage in the SCM. Now your making me want to adjust my order.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie

john enea
Subscriber
<dfn>Subscriber</dfn>

#26 Post by john enea » October 14th, 2020, 9:31 pm

I opened a 2007 alpine pinot in anticipation of this offer. looking past the crumbling cork (which has hit every one of my 2006, 2007 and 2008 rhys wines) the wine was amazing! so Im in, full on!

Michael_D

#27 Post by Michael_D » October 16th, 2020, 9:14 am

How long does a person usually wait before offered an allotment with Rhys? I only learned about this winery a few months ago (on this site), and signed onto their waiting list in August. I'm amusing I will not make this fall offer, but am curious to know what the average wait time is?
D - Drew

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » October 16th, 2020, 9:33 am

Michael_D wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:14 am
How long does a person usually wait before offered an allotment with Rhys? I only learned about this winery a few months ago (on this site), and signed onto their waiting list in August. I'm amusing I will not make this fall offer, but am curious to know what the average wait time is?
Varies in these weird times. Ebbs and flows based on demand and other extrinsic factors.

I joined about 12 years back and it was early on and got immediately added if I recall correctly. My allocation basically increased YOY to what it is now and flattened off yet I can't handle more than a case for practical purposes of storage and variety. Reading above, it seems to be like 1 to 2 years out for a "wish list" allocation or an initial allocation. Once you are provided an allocation or are fulfilled on a wish list, you are on base. It may not be everything however its a start. Take what you can get and what you like.

James Mc

#29 Post by James Mc » October 16th, 2020, 10:28 am

Michael_D wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:14 am
I joined in March of this year and got an offer, so I would think you might come off the wait list this offer depending on how many allocations are purchased.
McCormick Seasonings

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by JFPelletier » October 16th, 2020, 10:41 am

In for

2x2018 Alpine Pinot Noir
2x2018 Alpine Chardonnay
2x2018 Swan Terrace Pinot Noir
1x2018 Mt. Pajaro Chenin Blanc
3x2017 Horseshoe Syrah

JF

KenL.

#31 Post by KenL. » October 21st, 2020, 11:40 am

Just placed a small order.
2x Alpine PN
1x Horseshoe Syrah
1x Bearwallow PN
Lobel

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Alan Rath » October 21st, 2020, 12:46 pm

KenL. wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 11:40 am
2x Alpine PN
1x Horseshoe Syrah
1x Bearwallow PN
Some good choices!
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

KenL.

#33 Post by KenL. » October 21st, 2020, 1:35 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 12:46 pm
KenL. wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 11:40 am
2x Alpine PN
1x Horseshoe Syrah
1x Bearwallow PN
Some good choices!
Thanks, this is my first order, even though I made it off wait list some time ago after a 2 year wait. I was fortunate enough to get to tag along on a tasting there with Jeff once.
Lobel

Bruce Rudman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Bruce Rudman » October 22nd, 2020, 5:53 am

My wife is a sucker for the Bearwallow; her "occasion" wine is the Swan Terrace. I bought a mixed case (assuming wishlisted bottles) but skipped the whites. Sad to hear may be no 2020 vintage from some of these great vineyards.
Bruce

Rajesh P a r i k h

#35 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » December 3rd, 2020, 5:24 am

Has anyone had an order ship yet?

I didn't see an anticipated ship date in the invoice email, but assumed these would have shipped before winter.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » December 3rd, 2020, 6:02 am

Not from this order series, but my 500 ml bottle 2018 Pinot futures shipped. Arriving today.

I have reached the point where I ignore the Rhys "expected" ship time frames. It's usually 6-12 months later than they say.

raggarwal

#37 Post by raggarwal » December 3rd, 2020, 7:15 am

I emailed Rhys about shipping a couple of days ago. They said they're packing them now and hope to have them out in a couple of weeks.
Raj Aggarwal

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » December 3rd, 2020, 7:51 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 6:02 am
Not from this order series, but my 500 ml bottle 2018 Pinot futures shipped. Arriving today.

I have reached the point where I ignore the Rhys "expected" ship time frames. It's usually 6-12 months later than they say.
This is very true. They just magically show up one day and its a pleasant surprise.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » December 3rd, 2020, 8:04 am

Also, just got the 2019 Futures email...

Rhys’ futures program is designed to give our customers a chance to buy both alternate formats and case quantities of our wines prior to bottling. In a sense, this is a custom bottling option. If you are not interested in alternate formats or case quantities, there is no need to participate in this offering, you will still receive your typical allocation of these wines in the regular releases over the next year. However, if you are interested in both large and small format or case quantities of these wines, the futures release is the only time these are offered. In general, we offer six packs of our single vineyard wines in 375 and 500mL bottles, single 1.5 and 3L bottles and full 12 bottle 750mL cases.

2019 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard Chardonnay
2019 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard Pinot Noir
2019 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir
2019 Rhys Pinot Noir Sampler Pack (2 each of Alpine, Bearwallow, Family Farm, Home, Horseshoe and Mt. Pajaro Vineyard)

Despite being a year away, seems like the easiest route to secure 375s (which I love) or large formats if that's your thing.

Markus S

#40 Post by Markus S » December 3rd, 2020, 11:07 am

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:04 am

...seems like the easiest route to secure 375s (which I love) or large formats if that's your thing.
I think the only route for the odd sizes, as those get bottled to spec and cannot be found later.
I always wished there would be a slight discount for futures, as one is tying up money that could have make a small fortune in Tesla stock.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 » December 3rd, 2020, 11:14 am

Markus S wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:07 am
Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:04 am

...seems like the easiest route to secure 375s (which I love) or large formats if that's your thing.
I think the only route for the odd sizes, as those get bottled to spec and cannot be found later.
I always wished there would be a slight discount for futures, as one is tying up money that could have make a small fortune in Tesla stock.
I agree on the discount, I wish there was more however they have pretty high demand so it is what it is. Still unfortunate.

RE Odd sizes, every now and then I'll see an one online. Not often, and usually 375s. To be fair, I've never seen larger formats, so pretty much the only game barring private sales and auction.

Return to “Wine Talk”