TN: 2016 G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe

A highly perfumed nose of red fruits, floral spice and camphor. The palate is generous and fleshy with slow burn tannins. It is beautifully balanced and offers plenty now but has much in reserve

Thanks. Great description. I had this two weeks ago, it’s a really pretty wine. In my view it does not have the complexity of some of the other base wines i.e. Vietti Castiglione, but it’s so accessible and enjoyable now. And only ~$30.

I opened a bottle three weeks ago, and was a bit disappointed the first night. It was very extracted, and I wasn’t sure how much subtlety there was there. But the leftovers on day 2 (and a bit on day 3) were terrific. It really came into balance and became bona fide Barolo.

Opened a bottle of this in late August. Didn’t give it two days but I probably should have. Never seem to totally open up.

Sounds good. Interested in general impressions of 16 Barolos. I haven’t tried any yet and don’t really ‘need’ any, but how do they compare to say '04, '10 and '13 which are other vintages that I have liked and bought?

I didn’t taste '04s near release. For '10, '13, '16, some thoughts:

1. Overall Quality: For wines I’ve had in all three vintages from established producers (where quality hasn’t changed a ton over time), 2010 is generally the best. 2013 & 2016 are close, with a slight nod to 2016 thus far (but unclear if it’s just winemaking improving, or actually the vintage).
    ->Examples that stick out: Giuseppe Rinaldi Brunate 2010, Bartolo Mascarello 2010 are clearly the best of the 3 vintages of those wines in my view. Monfortino 2010 is better than 2013, and I can’t say for '16 Francia yet, but the fact that Monfortino wasn’t produced would suggest the '10 stands as the best of those three. The Vietti Rocche 2016 is much better in my view than the 2013. Haven’t had the 2010 of that one.
  2. Alcohols are highest in '16 - a number of wines marked at 15% - but generally I haven’t noticed this sticking out in the wines.
  3. I think the '16s are the most expressive, most perfumed in the early going, most elegant tannin profile - on average, more approachable and more early enjoyment than the '10s and '13s I’ve had.
  4. 2010 is clearly most powerful & concentrated of these three. 2013 vs. 2016 I’m not sure there’s a big difference on average.

The 2016 Vajra Bricco delle Viole is a drop dead gorgeous wine. Incredibly supple, perfumed and deep. It’s beautiful on day 1 and just spectacular on day 2. I am particularly averse to alcohol in wine and there is absolutely none noticeable. I think Vajra is heading up into the top tier of Piedmont. And the Vaira family (yes spelling varies from that of the winery) I am told are as lovey as their wines.

I’m skeptical that anyone professional critics included, can definitively say one great vintage is better than another in the early going. And, at that level, I’m sure it comes down to the wine. In many cases, I prefer 1986 Left Banks to ‘89s and ‘90s. Whose to say who’s right? I will say two things: I am pretty new to Piedmont and the 2016s are pretty damn good. I’ve had a dozen or so and it is clear that up and down the line, there are loads of very special wines.