Organic Sans Soufre....

What the heck is this stuff? Said a GSM. I could see a gimmicky cheapo here, but $20???
4AF5EF1B-D5A7-48F9-B06F-D5811DC74CA2.jpeg

WINC.

White label bulk wine with catchy labels (seriously, look at some of the other offerings). Likely co-op wine from Languedoc bought for sub-€1.

If the wine retail business doesn’t wise up, this is what the future looks like.
Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.25.01 PM.jpg

I think the future is going to look like that anyways. Or, more like that. I hope I’m wrong though.

I don’t know… I mean, there’s good wine to be had for $20. It’s a failure of the wine business that it’s had all the head start but is potentially losing a generation of buyers because they can’t figure out how to make the message simple and sexy enough.

Now, I can’t speak to how successful winc, or the other many sites doing the same thing actually are, nor can i say for a fact the advertised wine isn’t actually La Tâche 2.0. But I know I see these things everywhere, advertised on huge podcasts, billboards, whole foods etc.

/rant

Winc started as Club W and have expanded quite a bit. They do make some of their own wines but yes, do deal with bulk wines as well. I wish them well - and with wines like this, they will satisfy the thirst of some who want to ‘dip their toes’ into these types of wines and not break the bank.

Cheers

There is fantastic, delicious, real wine available for under $20. But it’s not the private-labeled garbage that so many people seem to want to manufacture and “market” these days. Just this month I’ve purchased the following wines for $20 or less:

2018 Anselmo Mendes Alvarinho Contacto
2019 Cà La Bionda Valpolicella Classico
2019 Azienda Agricola Durin Rossese Riviera Ligure di Ponente
2018 Quinta do Montalto Vinho Regional Lisboa Nao Condenada
2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine
2019 Domaine du Salvard Cheverny Rosé
2019 Syncline Grenache Blanc Boushey Vineyard

All really good, interesting wine made by producers that actually care about what the wine tastes like.

Pretty tasty wine
https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1444091

Seems much ado about nothing to me. A generation of wine drinkers cut their teeth on $5 fruit bombs from Australia with animal names, or on white Zin, or on a boatload of other wines which were simply the most accessible for whatever reason. There’s no reason to think that anything is lost here. If this works for some buyers to give it a try then I don’t see the problem. I have always felt that it serves the wine industry well to get people in the door, after which some will inevitably stay and have a look around.

I agree with this sentiment. I love how lots of older folks remember fondly drinking hearty burgundy out of gallon jugs, but for a younger generation to do same same its the end of the world. Most of my friends (and most of the world) think that a $20 bottle of wine is pretty special. This board just happens to live in a very very tiny subset of the world that doesn’t.

TW

I don’t disagree with that. But the gallon didn’t pretend to be anything it wasn’t. But maybe you’re right, maybe the buyers of this will transition into real wine. I just think it’s a shame that this seems to be so effective, given that is very good wine made by real people to be had at that price.