TN: 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace

• 2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (10/14/2020)
    I have had five or six bottles of Swan Terrace in the past. Until this bottle I never “got” it. Tonight I was immediately struck by the elegance, the aromatic complexity and the finishing persistence. Tonight there was an undercurrent of rich, living earth. Tonight it felt like a grape expressing a place. Tonight I didn’t drink Pinot Noir, I drank Swan Terrace.

Posted from CellarTracker

David - great note - lots more emotion in your tasting notes recently…any sense of aging curve? I have a couple of these, but have generally waited 10+ years when I don’t have many bottles.

Jud,

If you have multiple bottles there is no shame in opening one now. It’s gorgeous. Seems like it might be at the early end of a multi-year maturity plateau.

Seems like around 7-10 years of age is when many of the Rhys pinots take a significant step forward in quality. We had a huge Rhys tasting at FMIII’s house last year and there was a fairly consistent and noticeable difference between the older half of the bottles and the younger half. Speaking in broad terms, of course.