TN: 2006 Brick House Gamay Noir

I was rooting around in the Gamay section of my cellar, and found this. 2006 was the year that I worked the harvest at Brick House, and this was the last bottle I had left from that vintage. The challenge that year was that all of Doug’s red grapes were ready to pick at the same time (he was late on the chardonnay, but I was just introducing him to Ramonet at the time and he was still picking to try and make California Chardonnay). It took us 8 days to bring everything in. The stuff we brought in early (Dijonnais, Cuvee du Tonnelier) was really good. The stuff we brought in later tended to be a bit boozy (this wine was ~14.5%). The Gamay was the last thing picked.

The wine is starting the “brick” from a color standpoint. On the nose, the alcohol is evident, along with a little brown sugar and plum/prune aromas. On the palate, the wine is relatively light, with some acidic cherry poking through the plum/prune. It’s smooth and balanced, but somewhat over the hill. Jan’s comment was that is tasted Zinfandel-like. This seemed to be a good reminder of the lack of varietal character in late-picked grapes.

Quite the interesting story behind the wine. I’m a fan of Doug’s Gamay but 2006 was a tough vintage for pretty much everyone in Oregon. It seems like there’s been a considerable shift away from riper preferences over the past 15 years IMHO. Prior to 2003 it seems like it was a challenge to make high test. Now, more frequently, it’s a challenge not to.

RT

Interesting thoughts and thanks for the note with the background story Rick.

Oddly enough, I have opened a few 2006’s over the last few weekends. A 2006 Carter Hillside Vineyard Pinot Noir half bottle was delightful last weekend. Ken Wright is/was the winemaker for the Carter label. It’s my understanding that the Carter Family exited the wine business a few years ago and sold the vineyard to Ken who continues to make his SVD’s from the Carter Vineyard.

Also, opened a 2006 Beaux Freres Beaux Freres Vineyard Pinot two weekends ago to pair with a 1999 BFBF, 2009 BFBF, 2009 BFUT and 2009 BFWV. Upon pop and taste, the 2006 drank on the warm side with notes of cinnamon red hots, but calmed down substantially in the 4-5 hours open prior to consumption. All of the bottles were very youthful with very consistent notes across the bottles. 2006 and 2009 are often considered similar vintages by some folks.

Producer trumps vintage and I’m open to drinking more 2006’s from Oregon.