TN: Outdoor Dining In NYC - Wines With Dinner

I haven’t dropped a TN here in about 100 years, but I gotta lotta time on my hands since I’m not exactly working 24/7 any more, so here goes…

Four wines dining outside at Tartine in NYC…

2014 Daniel & Julien Barraud Pouilly-Fuissé ‘Les Crays’ - Lovely golden color, spice and honeyed citrus nose, surprisingly full-bodied, yet still stony/saline/minerality with ripe, full green apple & citrus flavors. It’ll certainly last another decade…easy…but this was unfortunately my last bottle.

2014 Jerome Galeyrand Côte de Nuits Villages Vieilles Vignes - clear, bright red color with a super ripe nose of strawberry and a hint of herbs. Soft entry and mouthfeel, more ripe red fruits…and a beautiful, zippy finish. Drinking great right now…not sure of the upside of aging this any longer…it says a lot that it was the fave wine for 3 of the 4 people at the table. (The holdout picked the La Mish, but he grew up in Bordeaux…:roll_eyes:…just sayin’)

2006 Josef Walter Bürgstadter Centgrafenberg Spätburgunder “J” trocken - Slightly rusty red color, definitely showing its age…evolved nose of soft jammy fruit and earthy spice. Very smooth attack, soft tannin with a complex blend of red berry fruit and savory spice & minerals. The finish isn’t the longest, but it’s still very nice. No need to let this age any longer if you’ve got these.

2002 La Mission Haut Brion - A simply stunning wine from a much maligned vintage. Deep, dark red…looked like it could have been bottled yesterday…with that classic nose of tobacco, herbs and bell pepper. Bright, full flavors of ripe plums & black cherry. Magnificent finish…sweet muscular tannin, bracing mouth-watering acidity, lead pencil, herbs…it’s all here in Spades! Just remarkable!!!

Great notes, photos and diversity of wines.

Great notes, glad to see you posting again.

Agree with the other responders on the good notes and photos

Although I would differ on the “much-maligned” part on the 2002 LMHB, I’m happy for the notes and data point as I have 3 bottles sitting offsite.

Good collection of wines to bring to Tartine.

Also, it’s been ages since I’ve been to, nor find anything written-up about, Tartine. I’ve always admired their rustic, almost no-frills, approach to French cooking. Almost feel like dining in a bistro in one of the most local of neighborhoods in Paris. I suppose their outdoor-dining system is much more in vogue these days. Did you have to wait long for a table?

don’t hear too much about galeyrand. has anyone tasted the les retraits?

Eater ny did a nice write up / review of Tartine a week or two ago

The La Mish isn’t maligned, but 2002 as a vintage gets little love. As for wait times…it’s nothing. Granted, we got there right at 5:00 when they opened for dinner, but there have been open tables most nights I’ve been there. You gotta go while it’s still warmish…but Thierry is getting heaters soon.

I nearly brought a Retraits, but decided on the Villages cuz I wasn’t dining with geeks and the Retraits is a real Geek Wine…I’m prolly gonna open one in the next few weeks to see how it’s doing.

Yup…and Thierry is applying for a wine & beer license to try to get profits up. But don’t worry…he’s keeping Tartine BYO…he just wants to offer a small selection for those who either didn’t bring a bottle or just might want a glass of something. I’m actually writing him a recommendation letter today that he can send on to the SLA with his application.

We ate there last night for the first time in 5 years or so. When we lived in NYC, we were regulars who went at least once a week. A couple of thoughts…

I’m very happy that they received a nice review on Eater. Good for them, they deserve it. Nothing, I repeat, nothing has changed. And that’s a good thing. Spicy chicken with frites is as good as I remember it. Warm goat cheese salad was still dressed perfectly. It’s not fancy in any respect. It’s good, solid everyday bistro food that I’d be happy to eat twice a week. We were there around 6pm on a gorgeous night and got a table right away. Shortly after we sat down, every table was taken and there was a short line. The stems are still shitty and I don’t care. Brad must bring his own glasses especially with the La Mish.

Side note…lets say over the course of time I’ve had 100 meals there. I believe that 99 of them have been the spicy chicken.

Of course I brought stems! And of course the table next to us asked the waitress if she could give them some ‘good’ glasses! :joy: And while I too had the Spicy the other night, the Beef Mignonette is usually my go-to dish…:sunglasses:

Sat across from Amy Robach and Andrew Shue who seemed very happy to be there.

PS. I almost asked to use the Brad Trent stems as I figured that you have a box of stems stashed there.

Thank you for the TNs as well as the pictures. I live a couple blocks from Tartine and now (I wish it wasn’t raining) all I want to do is go get that famous spicy chicken dish! However, I would want to bring a bottle of aged Bordeaux ('00 Leoville-Poyferre, '03 Pichon Longueville), so perhaps I would have to go with their steak au povres or grilled steak, right? Might need to bring a bottle of champagne or white burg as well… thanks again for the post!

For those types of wines I would bring a couple of stems too.

Agree - would definitely bring stems, as long as there are no Brad secret stem stash I could request by dropping his name and showing this WB post to the waiter champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

Byo stems, definitely.

Back in the days when I used to go, 8+ years ago, they’d have specials. I don’t know what the situation is with daily specials since. But boeuf bourguignon then were good enough with the byob.

Also, I remember that their Pissaladiere appetizer was always worth ordering.

I used to keep a 6-pack box of stems there until Thierry told me the staff would feel bad when they would break the occasional one while washing them! :joy: