TN: 2018 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese and Alte Reben Kabinett

I opened a couple 2018s on Friday and then left them in my refrigerator for a few days. I was surprised by the change, particularly how the fruit started turning from white to yellow. Which brings to mind a question: has anyone ever had a well aged Falkenstein? While I’m sure that the wines can age, I’m just not sure how they age.

• 2018 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/9/2020)
    Concentrated flavors of key lime with hints of peach. Lightly sweet and appropriate for the pradikat. Significant minerality becomes apparent on the finish. Fatter than is typical for this producer, yet still leaner than most, the racy acidity keeps everything feeling fresh. Moderate spritz. Overall a very fine drink.

Five days after popping the cork and the wine has transformed. The body has fleshed out, the fruit seems sweeter and has started to shade yellow and the acidity seems more integrated. It is perhaps less distinctive, but more crowd pleasing with the additional air.

I’ve never had a truly old Falkenstein and I’m perplexed about the aging curve. However, I have no doubt that this will drink well 15+ years from vintage; the raw material is all there. (93 pts.)

• 2018 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/9/2020)
    The palate is dominated by flavors of white fruits, peach, and lime with a pronounced minerality. Lightweight and with only moderate sweetness. In fact, this shows far lighter/less sweet than most Kabinetts. While not as thrilling as the Alte Reben Kabinett, this is still a fine drink in its own right.

Saved a glass under cork in the refrigerator for 4 days. The wine had picked up considerable weight and while not large scaled by any means, it is more mouth filling, the acidity is more integrated and the fruit has turned from white to white and yellow. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Had the 2018 Niedermenniger Sonnenberg Riesling Spätlese trocken a couple of nights ago, and it was gorgeous. Still obviously very young, but with electric acidity and tangy fruit, it was really delicious. I’m fairly new to the Falkenstein wines, and have only tried a few, but have loved every one I’ve tried, and think they will age very nicely. If anyone is looking for some '19s in the NW, I know where a few bottles are located. PM me.

1 Like

Have you ever had an older Falkenstein? I was surprised at how much the bottle changed with air, which makes me think that it will taste very different with some age on it.

1 Like

No, nothing older than '16…I’m fairly new to this producer, but wish I had some older ones to try!

1 Like