Somm TV

I just saw an ad for Somm TV on Facebook. Has anyone tried it yet? They have a promo right now of 50% for 3 months. It’s described as the Netflix for wine. Sounds perfect.

It’s not even close to Netflix for wine. That said, I watch it periodically. I enjoy geeking out to some of the content.

I’ve had a subscription for a while now. Think it’s good if you like watching People do blind tastings and short documentary style films about wine people and places. The quality of the context is very good.

Had a 3 month free trial just a few months ago. Only watched two documentaries since everything else didn’t seem too appealing. It might be better to just give it a one month trial, if possible.

They need a lot more content (and I’m sure they’re working on it and COVID messed those plans up a bunch) to justify a long term subscription. Also, the production quality often ranges from very low to laughably low for a lot of their originals. That said, I enjoyed geeking out with SommTV during my free trial. I actually enjoyed watching others blind taste (despite awful production quality), there were some solid docs, and some decent profiles on some interesting wineries. The reason I didn’t subscribe beyond the free period is because there wasn’t enough additional content that I didn’t already watch. I’ll probably check them out again in a few months if they’re still around.

I got a three month free trial. In that 90 days, I watched everything on the service I wanted to watch and cancelled before being billed. There’s some good stuff on there. There’s just not enough good stuff to justify a long-term subscription.

They’re at $10/month. That’s insane if you compare Netflix at $15/month or whatever it is.

I believe you can get a year subscription for around $50. I enjoy much of the content and for the price of a decent bottle of wine it is worth it to me. The Verticals series has been particularly good. I like the blind tastings section as well, but more for the banter and history than the actual blind tasting.

1 Like

I also enjoy it. Content wise, clearly you don’t get as much per dollar as Netflix, but the quality is generally very good. They’ve also ramped up - in the past 2 months or so - the pace at which new content is released.

fun but not a ton of content, after a couple months not sure if I’ll keep it.

1 Like

It is fun but fairly expensive (relative). I subscribe so they have support to do more interesting stuff. Usually pick a night to watch various tasting / mini docs like once a month. Hope the content increases a lot once travel is more free

1 Like

I got through most of the interesting content in the free week that I had. Just not enough on the platform to warrant keeping the subscription long-term.

Totally worth the $49 (one year subscription) in my opinion! I signed up to get the free 3 day trial to watch the Lafite Vertical documentary, but think I’ll be keeping this active for the year. I was pleasantly surprised on all the good content including a few short “behind the glass” videos on two of my favorite Napa wineries (Spottswoode & Spring Mountain).

1 Like

I dig it. Good production values in my opinion.

I am a big fan. I think the content is great and broad for wine lovers, no matter what your favorite varietal or region is. However, the library is not as large as you can expect with the large streaming platforms and you WILL run-out of material if you binge watch your favorites. They do add great new material each week, but I believe the production teams are relatively small and it is easy to watch all of the week’s new material quickly (within the week). Just setting the proper expectations relative to that, but regardless, the content is spot on for oenophiles, differentiated (I have yet to find similar content elsewhere) and in my estimation, worth the price.

1 Like

I have enjoyed all the shows I have seen. The show (over an hour) on Lafite was special. Worth the price of a bottle of wine $49 for a year ( I have not had a bottle of wine last for a years pleasure).

It’s finally worth it, as they have upped the pace of content generation.

1 Like

I enjoy it, particularly for stories about specific regions, and the Verticals winery spotlights with owners/families. Check out Lagier Meredith, Lopez de Heredia or Martinelli for example. I need to switch to annual… still paying $5.99/month, for a long time.

I’ve had it for a while now and I enjoy it. You can’t look at it as a “what am I going to watch tonight?” kind of a service that can keep you busy 5 nights of every week. But there is definitely enough stuff on there to make it worth the price. And the shows are very well done. Their new Verticals show on Lafite that just got released last Friday (6/18) was fantastic and over an hour long of original footage all shot at the chateau for instance.

Lots of great little interviews onsite at wineries all over the world. And really nice short intros to areas and regions and varietie all over the world, alll beautifully filmed.

In short, it’s an easy yes for me.

1 Like

I have enjoyed the Guild Somm videos on You Tube. Very well done and educational.

I have been watching it over the past year, content has been steadily increasing. Was looking at canceling until I was able to get the $49/yr price (was a bit much at $10 a month). If you are into wine it is very educational and definitely enjoy much of the content.

1 Like