TN: 2005 Pégau - Cuvée Réservée (Fance, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

2005 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (9/11/2020)
– decanted 20 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: dark; moderately tight/reserved; not bretty; roasted celery; a bit woodsy, in a pleasant way; some baked red fruits; and a surprising hint of Sprite soda.

BODY: medium-full bodied; dark garnet color with slight bricking at the edges; {forgot to note weight: by memory, medium to medium-full}

TASTE: tannins mostly gone; little bit of funk; raisins; baked red fruit; classic CdP, but a bit overripe for me; drinking pretty well now, but I’m tempted to believe this still needs to unfurl some yet. The Reservee has proven to be one of the few CdPs where I prefer the '04 over the '05.

Thanks for the note. I’ve had my eye on a 3L of this for a few months now and keep going back and forth on whether or not to get it. My fear is that with the vintage it might not be ready to drink until I’m 6’ deep, and I’m only 35.

I don’t think you need to have that worry, T1m.

Hey, you’ve got to have something to serve at your funeral or wake! But this wouldn’t be it.

champagne.gif champagne.gif Happy Friday Chuck! It’s been awhile since we cracked open a bottle or two.