I just drove past Old Hill Ranch and

The block of old vines right along Highway 12 next to BR Cohn is being ripped out does anybody know what Will has going on?

My bad, it doesn’t stretch all the way to Hwy 12. Learn something new every day.

You had us worried for a moment there. But thanks for trying. We appreciate the effort. But please mail me a defibrillator.

Those vines were Cabernet on AXR-1 that had been nursed along for years but were finally succumbing to phylloxera; that Will managed to keep them in production for so long is a real testament to how healthy he keeps his soils. Absolutely loved the Cabernet from that block but not much one can do about it.

I’ve looked for AXR to put on a couple of sites that didn’t pose phylloxera issues, I love how it produced great flavors at lower Brix. I’ve not had a root stock that was similar.

So that is Old Hill. His vineyard map doesn’t stretch that far and I got confused. Just sad to see the tractors ripping that all up.

BTW, congratulations Daddy!

Yup, the vine map is only the old vine section. Up on that hill behind the Cab is the mixed whites and Otto Grenache block- pretty much just a rock pile.

And thanks! Fatherhood is a bit like a good harvest- happy but deliriously tired.

I saw a story in the news where Will had suffered some serious damage to his compound from Glass Fire, including his vintage Jeep that just came out of the shop the Saturday before.

Yeah, but that was a different property.

I have heard that many times.
Is there a way to be able to approach graft a heritage vineyard such as this?