Champagne?

Champagne is a tough one for me because I love it and its also often out of my price range. I’ve found a decent bottle of bubbles in the $20 range for less than special occasions, but would like to buy a 2-3 bottles per year in the $100-150 range. One to hold for 10-20 years and one or two to drink.

I love Bereche NV. I love Tarlant’s Cuvee Louis. Aubry is decent for the price, but I’d almost always spend another $10 for Beecher NV. I think I like heavier Champs in general.

Any recommendations for what to look for? I’d like to target my search as much as possible just because it is so far out of my normal cost range.

Half bottles of Krug MV for $75.

In the 100-150 range there are a ton of great champagnes available. Forced to choose just one I’d probably pick Taittinger Comtes (you can still easily get the sensational 2006 in that range), but the Cedric Bouchard range is exceptional, I’d be thrilled with the Bolly Grand Annee or their GA rose. Vilmart CdC too.

I would have no interest in the Krug MV and certainly would not pay the premium for it. It’s good; I have never been blown away

I really enjoy Lanson Noble Cuvee at around $90-$100 for stuff with 20 years of age on it.

Unlike Neal, I love Krug MV. You should pick up a bottle from wineaccess.com in the deals/coupons thread. 140 shipped after referral bonus

Agree. Beautiful wine

Don’t buy half bottles for long term aging! Cuvée Louis is a pretty oxidized style which I would also be cautious with long term aging. For my money, I’d go with the 2013 Pierre Peters Les Chetillions which can be enjoyed in the relatively short term, but will certainly go the distance for you.

I’m wondering what it is that I really enjoy about, say, Bereche vs something “cleaner” so to speak. Is it time spent on lees? PN and PM vs Chard? Age in general? I haven’t been able to narrow it down.

Krug, Bouchard, Pierre Peters, or Comtes. In that order.

I’m glad you agree. In the last 6 months or so I’ve noticed that my tastes align quite a bit with yours and I now often check CT to see if you’ve made a note on any Champagne that I’m considering purchasing.

PSA for anybody with access to NH State Liquor stores. You can get Krug MV for $127.50 this month if you’re willing to buy any 12 wines from France, Italy, and Spain. And there are usually 3 or 4 other months where you can get the same deal (15% off) without even buying 12 bottles.

Also, for some reason I love 167 eme and so far think 168 eme is “so so”. It could be that 168 isn’t really quite ready to drink, perhaps. Or it could be that I don’t know what I’m talking about, as I’m fairly inexperienced. But I really love me some 167 while 168 gets all the accolades.

If you love Bereche NV, why not move up the lineup into the vintage bottlings? The Reflet d’Antan is in your price range, as are the Premier Crus.

That makes way too much sense, get the heck outta here.

Can I just suggest that you’d be better served buying 3 bottles of some decent every day champagne like J Dhondt, Camille Saves or _____ than putting buying a single $130 bottle. Champagne should be an everyday wine.

newhere (relatively). It won’t happen again.

Veuve la Grande Dame. I’ve never cared for their normal bottling but the GD is exceptional.
champagne.gif

2006 Taittinger Comte de Champagne. After you drink it, come back and thank me.

Just had a bottle of the 06 CdC Taittinger for my wife’s birthday. I can vouch that it is, indeed, champagne. And a good one at that.

No doubt the 2006 Comtes is a great Champagne. If you hold it for 20 years it will be 34 years old from the vintage date when you go to drink it. The 2013 Chetillions will only be 27 years from vintage date. I’d put my money on the Chetillions.

Dhondt Grellet premier temps and terre fines are great wines for what they cost. I’ve been loading up on this producer recently.

1 Like