TN: 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine (USA, California)

• 2019 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine - USA, California (10/16/2020)
    Just barely off the truck, but I couldn’t resist the siren call. I poured a couple of ounces to check it out, then let the bottle sit for two hours. When dinner was ready I went back to it, and was blown away. This bottling is always delicious (open a 2017 if you have it), but this was turned up a couple of notches. During the release podcast, Morgan and Chris indicated that it had an extra gear, with more Bedrock Vineyard juice in the mix. It showed up in the depth and richness, which far exceeded prior editions of this wine. Supple, yet still structured; fruity yet still savory, it hits a heck of a sweet spot for $20. QPR champ indeed.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks very much. Looking forward to getting these soon.
I have found, via trial and error, that these generally need way more time than any $20 wine should. Sounds like this one was performing well with a little bit of air time?

Simply gulpable. All I could do to save 1/3 for tomorrow night.

Ours didn’t make it two hours, this is why it’s a case purchase.

I popped one last Friday when it was literally just off the truck but I couldn’t help myself. I largely agree with you, it’s definitely a step up in richness and and overall power versus previous vintages. I actually felt the heat coming through quite a bit, not sure if you experienced that or not. Anyway, my other bottles have been dropped off at my offsite to hang out for a while before I open another one.

The heat was there a bit for the couple of ounces I tried at the outset. Once I let the two hours pass the wine was beautifully integrated.

I know what I’m grabbing at the locker tomorrow.

Cool, looking forward to it.

This has got to be one of the greatest QPRs on the planet. There are times when I like it more than some of the SVDs.

I cannot imagine someone not liking this wine. It’s like the friendly golden retriever of wine.

I should have bought a full case, but I bought so many SVDs…the wife was not amused by the FedEx delivery.

I found mine in need of lot of air. Very acidic, sharp edges, felt like I needed to wait on these. Different strokes I suppose.

Huh…nothing remotely sharp in my bottle. Sounds like a completely different wine.

Weakling, but we’ll wait for Mr Fla to weigh in. Did you make the mistake of not pairing it with NY Strip?

Most definitely.

Also found mine surprisingly sharp and acidic. Spouse, who is big Bedrock fan, had trouble drinking it. A little better the next day.

It’s always interesting to me to see very different impressions from different people about the “same” wine. Obviously, a lot of things in play in this particular situation, including the “no great wine, only great bottles” maxim. I have noticed a lot of disparity in posted impressions for not only these early 2019, but also for the much acclaimed 2018 OVZ (especially in CT). I haven’t tasted either of these vintage versions yet, but I think that the 2017 is/was very good. Now who thinks the 2017 OVZ stinks?

Not me! I love the 2017 OVZ.

Big fan of 2017 OVZ.

I preferred the 2017 to the 2018 (which I liked), due to the relative rusticity of the former. Just a little more “serious.” Sounds like 2019 is in that vein.

I’m not saying the ‘19 stinks, I’m just saying we’re opening them way too soon.

Brian, you are just being a gentleman now! But seriously, the need for some bottle age to show is a recurring point made about the OVZ. Point noted! [cheers.gif]