Real winenerd wines

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Arjan Stavast

Real winenerd wines

#1 Post by Arjan Stavast » October 17th, 2020, 11:53 am

I love my German rieslings and spätburgunders, have 6 vintages of BAMA, absolutely adore sherry and my cellar has quite a few quirky Italians (Granato from Foradori!). So I think I do pretty well on the wine nerd-o-meter and can at times struggle finding anything more “moderate” when entertaining less nerdy folks. Still, I feel there must be more quirky stuff out there...
Do you guys have any suggestions a proper winenerd should definitely try?
Importer of Sophienwald and Code38 in the Netherlands. Big lover of German Riesling and Spätburgunder as well as Loire Chenin Blanc.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Real winenerd wines

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 11:57 am

Arjan Stavast wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:53 am
have 6 vintages of BAMA
Roll Tide!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Arjan Stavast

#3 Post by Arjan Stavast » October 17th, 2020, 12:04 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:57 am

Roll Tide!
Had to google that one 🙃 Am afraid I meant the Margaux worked by an elderly gentleman for 50+ vintages
Importer of Sophienwald and Code38 in the Netherlands. Big lover of German Riesling and Spätburgunder as well as Loire Chenin Blanc.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 12:10 pm

I know, but it's Saturday, so I could not resist.

Anyway, I guess I have to ask why the search for quirky?

You could try wines from the Jura. They are definitely quirky, and not for everyone, but certainly "nerdy."

Ever dabbled in Scheurebe?

How about trying some Austrian Grüner Veltliner? It's not as obscure as some other things, but every wine geek should know it. If you want to get quirky in Austria there's Neuberger and Furmint.

K N Haque

#5 Post by K N Haque » October 17th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Well, my first thought was those vin doux naturel wines from France that noone seems to drink anymore, like Rivesaltes and Maury, and in the Spanisg non-fortified version, Fondillon.

In general, if you don't know it, you might enjoy Jason Wilson's book "Godforsaken Grapes." There are some chapters on pretty mainstream varieties (like grüner veltliner and even riesling), but also sections on wines from gringet, petit rouge, etc.
K @ m @ @ l

IlkkaL

#6 Post by IlkkaL » October 17th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Maybe I live inside a bubble but I don’t consider any of the things you mention all that nerdy really. Almost everything Otto F has ever blinded me with has been way more nerdy. Moravia Agria from Spain? Skin contact field blend of Timorasso, Verdea, Bosco, Riesling and Chasselas from Piemonte? 40yo Cabernet d’Anjou?
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Kris Patten » October 17th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Pais from S. America.
ITB

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 17th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Skin contact Cortese from California

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Chris Seiber » October 17th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Do you mean you want to explore more obscure or less-known grapes and regions?

Or do you want wines that are really odd in the glass, like skin contact whites or Scholium Project?

Arjan Stavast

#10 Post by Arjan Stavast » October 17th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Do you mean you want to explore more obscure or less-known grapes and regions?

Or do you want wines that are really odd in the glass, like skin contact whites or Scholium Project?
The latter I guess. If obscure grape X taste just like Chardonnay from burgundy, I’d just stick with the original. I guess I like taste profiles that are just slightly different. Had a Georgian skin contact white in a Georgian restaurant the other day and that was very enjoyable. Paired perfectly with the food and tickled some different taste buds.

Arjan Stavast

#11 Post by Arjan Stavast » October 17th, 2020, 12:49 pm

IlkkaL wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Maybe I live inside a bubble but I don’t consider any of the things you mention all that nerdy really. Almost everything Otto F has ever blinded me with has been way more nerdy. Moravia Agria from Spain? Skin contact field blend of Timorasso, Verdea, Bosco, Riesling and Chasselas from Piemonte? 40yo Cabernet d’Anjou?
[worship.gif] [worship.gif] [worship.gif]
Had a look in my cellar to see if I could find anything even close and can only come up with Arinto dos Acores

Uli K.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Uli K. » October 17th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Dry Grand Cru Banyuls Ancestral for aperitif or dessert? Try Viviane Le Roy if a little sweeter is OK.
U. K 1 u m p p

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 17th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Arjan Stavast wrote:
I love my German rieslings and spätburgunders, have 6 vintages of BAMA, absolutely adore sherry and my cellar has quite a few quirky Italians (Granato from Foradori!). So I think I do pretty well on the wine nerd-o-meter and can at times struggle finding anything more “moderate” when entertaining less nerdy folks. Still, I feel there must be more quirky stuff out there...
Ok so perhaps not totally nerdy, but definitely stuff some nerdy folks like, include:

Marc Plouzeau Chinon Franc de Pied
Chateau Musar
Levet Cote Rotie
Souhaut gamay (from Northern Rhône)
Metras Beaujolais l’Ultime
Marcel Juge Cornas

And since you like BAMA - the drink not the college football (I love them both) - try:

Domaine du Jaugaret - St Julien
Clos du Jaugueyron - Margaux
Chateau le Puy - St Emilion

Also, just do a search for Otto’s threads. He’s the ultimate (cool) geek.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Otto Forsberg

#14 Post by Otto Forsberg » October 17th, 2020, 1:39 pm

IlkkaL wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 12:21 pm
champagne.gif Lol [wink.gif]

And you've merely seen what's just underneath the surface, since you normally don't come to my tastings where I pour blind wines. [wink.gif]

Although I must say that many of the wines listed in the thread are quite geeky. German Rieslings and Spätburgunders definitely are not, unless one's drinking habits consist mainly of Napa Cabs, but I'd argue that BAMA is from the geekier end of Bordeaux and Foradori is to many classicists a geeky producer. However, while somewhat geeky, both the wines are pretty mainstream as well.

Most skin-contact whites and Jura wines definitely tickle my geeky side. Arinto dos Acores as well, since so very little of it is produced.

Although I love wines of Rivesaltes and Maury, I wouldn't call them particularly geeky. However, a Dry Banyuls has its geek factor kicked up a notch or two, definitely.

Otto Forsberg

#15 Post by Otto Forsberg » October 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:25 pm
Ok so perhaps not totally nerdy, but definitely stuff some nerdy folks like, include:

Chateau Musar
Levet Cote Rotie
Marcel Juge Cornas

And since you like BAMA - the drink not the college football (I love them both) - try:

[rofl.gif] Flattered!

Nevertheless, a list of great wines. Not from the nerdiest end, but from the solid, classicist end of the geek spectrum. Haven't had any Jaugueyron yet, but have a few bottles coming up my way!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Oh my, not sure how I forgot about this:

Colares

Here is a note from a 1969.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138036&p=2217436&hi ... l#p2217436

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 17th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Otto Forsberg wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Chateau Musar
Levet Cote Rotie
Marcel Juge Cornas

[rofl.gif] Flattered!

Nevertheless, a list of great wines. Not from the nerdiest end, but from the solid, classicist end of the geek spectrum. Haven't had any Jaugueyron yet, but have a few bottles coming up my way!
Some more iconoclastic than classic, and most definitely not archetypes for their respective regions or appellations, but all have a distinction that makes them rather unique.

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jim Stewart » October 17th, 2020, 1:53 pm

I find it interesting when a well known winemaker/producer puts out a wine that is a bit out of conventional expectations of what that winemaker/producer is known for. Not a new trend or current "in" thing, just quirky. It's like a successful artist trying something new. Of course, my quirky may be someone else's yawn. I couple of wines that I had this year that fit in with my idea of quirky: Domaine de la Pepiere Cot and Patricia Green Dry Muscat Ottonel. Both delicious by the way. Cheers.

Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Arjan Stavast wrote:
Two related Turkish grapes, Kalecik Karasi (red) and Narince (white), should pin your nerd-o-meter.

Kalecik Karasi is grown most commonly around Ankara, a very hot climate in the summer, but it is light in color and can have Pinot Noir-like scents. The better bottlings from the large wineries Vinkara and Kavaklidere can be quite good.

Narince is a cross between Kalecik Karasi and another indigenous grape. When well made, it produces a full-bodied, flavorful white that retains good acid. It's grown on the Aegean coast and on the Aegean islands. I prefer Vinkara's unoaked version to the fatter, more expensive one that sees new oak. Corvus makes an even better Narince. The grape is also used in some of Kavaklidere's cheaper white blends, which are great values.

I've been exploring Cesanese di Piglio, young and old. Cesanese is grown in only a few towns in the hills southeast of Rome. The profile isn't radically different from other grapes (Monepulciano might be the closest I can think of), but there's a distinct earthiness (think baked clay) that I really like. They seem more readily available in Europe, judging by Wine Searcher.
"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

"I'm not slurring my words. I'm speaking cursive."

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 2:04 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 12:22 pm
Pais from S. America.
+1

There were a couple made by Louis-Antoine Luyt in Chile from 200-300-year-old vines that were poured at LDM/Louis Dresser tasting a few years back. Fascinating, really fine wines. Can't believe I never bought any!

Arjan - These would score extra nerd bonus points in Europe!

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » October 17th, 2020, 2:05 pm

I’m not entering any of these into the nerd olympics, but I like dry Furmint a whole lot and would highly recommend trying a bunch if you haven’t already. I also really like Kerner as a grape, having had several excellent - and good value - examples from Sudtirol/Alto Adige.

I think that the wines some California producers are making out of Charbono, Mission, and Tocai Friulano (aka Sauvignon Vert) are often interesting and tasty.
ITB

Otto Forsberg

#22 Post by Otto Forsberg » October 17th, 2020, 2:30 pm

John Morris wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:04 pm
There were a couple made by Louis-Antoine Luyt in Chile from 200-300-year-old vines that were poured at LDM/Louis Dresser tasting a few years back. Fascinating, really fine wines. Can't believe I never bought any!

Arjan - These would score extra nerd bonus points in Europe!
These were really something wonderful, among some of the most interesting wines I've had from Chile. Bought some awhile back, but have drunk all of them already.
Ben M a n d l e r wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:05 pm
I’m not entering any of these into the nerd olympics, but I like dry Furmint a whole lot and would highly recommend trying a bunch if you haven’t already. I also really like Kerner as a grape, having had several excellent - and good value - examples from Sudtirol/Alto Adige.
Furmint is great, but also already inching its way to the mainstream slowly. I've found that when it comes to Hungarian wines, Hárslevelű is often more interesting than Furmint - although some of the best single-vineyard Furmints can be quite exceptional as well. However, the title of the best Hungarian grape variety goes effortlessly to Juhfark. The best ones are simply outrageously good.

I've never really understood Kerner. There are some pretty great Kerners, but very rarely I've found them to be anything truly interesting - and all too often they are quite average. However, they still tend to be better than the Rieslings produced in Südtirol-Alto Adige!

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Sean S y d n e y » October 17th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Coteaux Champenois qualify?
Instagram: @seansydney

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Otto Forsberg wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Furmint is great, but also already inching its way to the mainstream slowly. I've found that when it comes to Hungarian wines, Hárslevelű is often more interesting than Furmint - although some of the best single-vineyard Furmints can be quite exceptional as well. However, the title of the best Hungarian grape variety goes effortlessly to Juhfark. The best ones are simply outrageously good.
Plus, it has the advantage (to you) that only speakers of a Finno-Ugric language will have any idea how to pronounce it! neener

Otto Forsberg

#25 Post by Otto Forsberg » October 17th, 2020, 3:08 pm

John Morris wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:43 pm
Otto Forsberg wrote:
Plus, it has the advantage (to you) that only speakers of a Finno-Ugric language will have any idea how to pronounce it! neener
:D

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Us Finns have the benefit that for the most part we have the same sounds as Hungarian, so compared to English-speakers we might have it easier when it comes to pronouncing Hungarian!

However, we have only umlauts, not the accents that are numerous in Hungarian! Furthermore, the pronunciation rules are very weird to anyone not familiar with Hungarian (including us Finns), so attempting to pronounce Hungarian words without any idea how they should sound will most likely end in a catastrophe (fortunately Furmint and Juhfark are pretty easy compared to many other Hungarian varieties, like Királyleányka or Pécsi Cirfandli). Those who are interested - and if I remember correctly - Hárslevelű was pronounced either like hush-level-oo or hash-level-oo. Or it might be both, depending on which part of Hungary one comes from!

Nevertheless, I find it easier to guess how English words I'm unfamiliar with are pronounced correctly than attempting to get a Hungarian word right at first go! [snort.gif]

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Chris Seiber » October 17th, 2020, 3:08 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Arjan Stavast wrote:

Chateau Musar
Levet Cote Rotie
Marcel Juge Cornas

Excellent set of suggestions. Musar is a great intersection of offbeat/geeky/distinctive but also just flat out great wine. Also good value for the cost.

z_hart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by z_hart » October 17th, 2020, 3:11 pm

For one stop shopping of some really cool, old, nearly forgotten grape varietals, try Sabelli Frisch. It’s a wine that you’ll want to keep on hand and bring out either when you want something that’s different or you have some wine nerd friends over.

https://www.sabelli-frisch.com/wines-overview
z a c h

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Chris Seiber » October 17th, 2020, 3:12 pm

I’m not sure if it’s weird enough in the glass, but Koshu Gris from Japan can be really good. It’s a unique Japanese White grape. I’m opening a bottle tonight in fact.
CF9F19BE-FD43-4F99-9564-978275CC9F20.jpeg

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Otto Forsberg wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:08 pm
John Morris wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 2:43 pm
Otto Forsberg wrote:
:D

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Us Finns have the benefit that for the most part we have the same sounds as Hungarian, so compared to English-speakers we might have it easier when it comes to pronouncing Hungarian!

However, we have only umlauts, not the accents that are numerous in Hungarian! Furthermore, the pronunciation rules are very weird to anyone not familiar with Hungarian (including us Finns), so attempting to pronounce Hungarian words without any idea how they should sound will most likely end in a catastrophe (fortunately Furmint and Juhfark are pretty easy compared to many other Hungarian varieties, like Királyleányka or Pécsi Cirfandli). Those who are interested - and if I remember correctly - Hárslevelű was pronounced either like hush-level-oo or hash-level-oo. Or it might be both, depending on which part of Hungary one comes from!

Nevertheless, I find it easier to guess how English words I'm unfamiliar with are pronounced correctly than attempting to get a Hungarian word right at first go! [snort.gif]
Paging the part-Hungarian Greg Tatar!

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Robert M yers » October 17th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
Pais from S. America.
Do you have any recommendations? My wife loves the one made by Maitia (Carignan blend) and we love the fresh style of that bottling. Would like to try some more for sure.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Morris » October 17th, 2020, 3:33 pm

See posts #20 and #22.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Kris Patten » October 17th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:25 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
Pais from S. America.
Do you have any recommendations? My wife loves the one made by Maitia (Carignan blend) and we love the fresh style of that bottling. Would like to try some more for sure.
We sell J. Bouchon, and the Salvaje and Viejo are both really good renditions. I prefer the Salvaje, and haven't gotten to try the mutated Pais Blanco yet. I think they make a Blanc de Noir, but have never seen it in US.

John has a couple above too.
ITB

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Kirk.Grant » October 17th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Here are two of my favorites & a book worth reading if you want to try obscure.

1. NV Bartlett Estate Oak Dry Blueberry (I think it's the best wine made in America for under $25) They can age for decades & it's my personal [soap.gif] here of Wine Berserkers. * I consider myself a close friend of Bob & Kathe Bartlett. I often find myself thinking of them as extended family. They are just wonderful & amazing people...so I may be biased. Other forum members that have tasted these wines include: Doug Schulman, Rajiv Ayyangar, & anyone that was at the Boston PGC Etzel Block Vertical).

2. Chateau Musar Red, white, or rosé..the wines are in a league of their own. As in...I can't think of another producer that I can see myself confusing with their wines when tasting them blind. They are singular...

3. Finally I would encourage you to read Godforsaken Grapes by Jason Wilson. It's a great way to learn about other really obscure grapes in some parts of the world where they are at risk of becoming up-rooted or extinct.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Eric Ifune » October 17th, 2020, 4:00 pm

From Portugal, Encruzado from Dao, Baga from Bairrada, Colares, Carcavellos.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 17th, 2020, 4:08 pm

1993 Overnoy Arbois Pupillon

https://www.the-stupids.com/?p=1387

More seriously, I second Musar and add mondeuse from the Savoie.

Leonard Maran

#36 Post by Leonard Maran » October 17th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Well, maybe wines from Alto Adige are not nerdy enough, but I have a Jones for them. I really like Kerner.

Tomás Costa

#37 Post by Tomás Costa » October 17th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Colares has been mentioned already, and that would be my number one choice. Not sure if Jura vin jaune qualifies...
IG: tomascosta6524

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by lleichtman » October 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:12 pm
I’m not sure if it’s weird enough in the glass, but Koshu Gris from Japan can be really good. It’s a unique Japanese White grape. I’m opening a bottle tonight in fact.

Had a bottle in Kofu. Think we preferred the Sake.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by lleichtman » October 17th, 2020, 5:37 pm

How about Lagrein and Schiava from Alto Adige.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Otto Forsberg

#40 Post by Otto Forsberg » October 18th, 2020, 2:04 am

lleichtman wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 5:37 pm
How about Lagrein and Schiava from Alto Adige.
Can't say there's much geeky there.

They can be enjoyable little wines, but ultimately they are pretty foursquare local reds that aren't particularly distinctive nor rare. Especially with Schiava it's hard to find a bottle that would be particularly interesting.

Encruzado and Baga wines are often terrific, but in my books quite mainstream. Colares, on the other hand, is quite deep in the geek territory and Carcavelos a real Portuguese holy grail nowadays.

Phil T r o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Phil T r o t t e r » October 18th, 2020, 6:20 am

A while back I purchased at auction two cases of Zyme Oz (2002 and 2004). I always found them to be somewhat unheard of but maybe it's just my ignorance...

2002 was really good and they're all gone. 2004 is still a little too rustic to this day. 100% Oseleta and now aptly named Zyme Oseleta.

Txakolina can be enjoyable... can it be considered geeky? How about 100% Gamay de Bouze that tastes like freshly mowed lawn? Vajra N.S. della Neve with its Nebbiolo bubbles?

Edited to add: Ferrer Ribière 100% Grenache gris sans ouillage?

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Mattstolz » October 18th, 2020, 8:26 am

what about Sake?

I know nothing about it but it seems like an entirely different side that can be dove (diven? dived?) into

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Chris Seiber » October 18th, 2020, 8:36 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 3:12 pm

The wine was really good last night. Subtle, complex, elegant. Really a nice wine, completely independent of the novelty of being a Koshu from Japan.

But not really a strange wine in the glass for this purpose.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » October 18th, 2020, 8:43 am

Check out the Enderle & Moll skin-contact whites from Baden. They will satisfy your taste for different.
IMG_20200828_171107894_PORTRAIT.jpg
Cheers,
Paul

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by John Morris » October 18th, 2020, 8:45 am

P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:43 am
Check out the Enderle & Moll skin-contact whites from Baden. They will satisfy your taste for different.
White Grauburgunder/pinot gris has a touch of pigment, but how on earth do you get something that red? Are the grapes that red?

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by J a y H a c k » October 18th, 2020, 8:46 am

Scholium Project
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » October 18th, 2020, 8:48 am

Cheers,
Paul

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » October 18th, 2020, 8:51 am

John Morris wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:45 am
P@u1_M3nk3s wrote:
October 18th, 2020, 8:43 am
White Grauburgunder/pinot gris has a touch of pigment, but how on earth do you get something that red? Are the grapes that red?
I've seen a number of red skin-contact Pinot Gris/Grauburgunder. Vincent from Oregon is one of my faves.
Cheers,
Paul

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Jim Stewart » October 18th, 2020, 9:14 am

Would Corsican (Corse) wines be a possibility.? I have enjoyed a "regular" Clos Canarelli Corse Figari Blanc and they also make an "Amphora" version which might up the nerd/geek level.
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 18th, 2020, 9:22 am

Jim Stewart wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:53 pm
I find it interesting when a well known winemaker/producer puts out a wine that is a bit out of conventional expectations of what that winemaker/producer is known for. Not a new trend or current "in" thing, just quirky. It's like a successful artist trying something new. Of course, my quirky may be someone else's yawn. I couple of wines that I had this year that fit in with my idea of quirky: Domaine de la Pepiere Cot and Patricia Green Dry Muscat Ottonel. Both delicious by the way. Cheers.

I ordered some of the Cot from Chambers, looking forward to trying it!

Return to “Wine Talk”