TN: A 2nd sun in the Loire Valley

TN: 2007 Clos Rougeard Les Poyeux Saumur Champigny

The complex bouquet of a very fine Right Bank Bordeaux. In the palate, the poise, elegance and craftsmanship of an excellent Burgundy. The silky texture that Clos Rougeard is known and admired for and the great length that makes one yearn for the next sip.

I drink daily drinker Loire Cab Franc, on average, maybe a bottle every other week. But this is exactly what Joguet talked about when he said ““there are two suns. One shines outside for everybody. The second shines in the Foucaults’ cellar.”

I still like the other greats in the region, but this 12.5% ABV is heads and shoulders above when it comes to Loire cabernet franc.

Saturday stay@home dinner with a delicious medium-rare porterhouse from NY state’s own Kinderhook Farms.

A5FA2053-9AF8-4B58-BC31-A8E68711ABAF.jpeg

1 Like

Many thanks for the evocative note. Did this need a lot of air to open fully?

Glad to write the note.

Uncorked at 1 hour before dinner and poured 2 tablespoons into my glass for some sniffs and a small taste. Happy with the bouquet, still with tightness in the palate.

As the lone alcohol drinker in the household, able to follow over 5 to 6 hours through dinner and beyond. Excitedly and deliciously opened up with the last pours being the best and most giving. At this point, getting harder to put bottle away with remainder for Day 2 assessment. Still have 2 good pours in the refrigerator for later.

Joguet was right!

Yes, yes he right.

That 07 Les P is excellent.

What a great note!

Day 2 TN.

Drank the refrigerated 2 good pours from Day 1. Drank by itself after Day 2’s dinner.

The bouquet and intensity didn’t let up. It’s still the smooth texture and seemingly added acidic presence from red fruit that stood out for me. Tea. If I didn’t know, I’d still say that this is one darn good Burgundy.

Charles Joguet knows.

TN: 2008 Clos Rougeard Les Poyeux (01/31/21)

What Joguet said (see above).

Plus two undocumented words he reportedly uttered after tasting the 2008 Les Poyeux. “Hot damn!”

80718D22-B71F-4544-B32A-E13400888065.jpeg

When are the 15s getting released? Should be soon, no?

I haven’t kept up with sales information since after the 2010 vintage. Perhaps, somebody else can chime in.

I may be wrong, but that would be the last vintage with the original Foucaults at the helm, yes?

Wasn’t it the '14?

That’s what I thought too, but my information is spotty. I read that he passed away in Dec 2015, so I figured that Foucaults were still on top of things for the 2015 vintage.

2014 was the last

I thought it was the 2015, maybe not the entire time as Charly was probably ill during the later half of 2015, but isn’t it Nadi that made the wines?

From Jim’s Loire blog:

La Revue du Vin de France is reporting that the Foucaults’ Clos Rougeard (Saumur-Champigny/Saumur) has been sold to businessman Martin Bouygues, owner with his brother Olivier of Château Montrose.

The future of this small but famous Saumur estate has been uncertain since Charly Foucault died on 29th December 2015. It was known that Nady was keen to retire and Antoine Foucault, Charly’s son has his own estate – Domaine du Collier. I understand that Antoine vinified the 2016 vintage of Clos Rougeard.

So looks like Antoine handled 2015 and 2016. Interesting, I had not seen this.

The quote specifically mentioned Antoine made 2016, not 100% sure from the quote who made 2015.

Found the original articles posted by William Kelly:

Reading the opposing perspective, seems like 2015 was still pretty much the Foucault’s with Antoines’ help, but things are not 100% clear.

1 Like

I ended up passing on 2015. Grabbed a fair bit of 2014, which is my style of Lorie Cab Franc vintage. The Clos is excellent. Have not tried the Les Poyeaux yet.

I missed this the first time around, but it is quite an evocative note, as I was thinking of the brothers York when I first read the title, well 2/3s of them… Then, a wine that Robert is always talking about, and the few bottles that I own!! I wish I had a few more of these bottles!