TN: 2017 Boussey Volnay 1er Cru Les Taillepieds

2017 Boussey Volnay 1er Cru Les Taillepieds

OK…sure…this is primary AF, but it’s is still one classy bottle of juice. Big ripe nose of ripe, dark fruits and spice. First sip is all plums…plums, plums, a whack of dark cherry and then more plums and a solid dose of (well framed) oak. Not bad oak…good, appropriate spiced oak. Then it dances around your mouth with layers of fruit, mineral, herbal spice and a wonderful zippy acidity. If I can find anything to complain about, it’s that it’s finish could be longer, but I’m splitting hairs cuz damn…it’s so bloody good! I purposely gased the second half of the bottle so I can check it tomorrow, but this is one solid Volnay!!! This was certainly a science experiment to get a base line, but a good one. I’m thinking it’ll be a number of years before I crack another one.

Thanks for taking one for the team, BTs! I bought a four-pack of this offer, mixing one Volnay villages in with 3 of the big boys (and what a deal these were!), so it’s great to see a note on it - I think I’ll let my Taillepieds keep slumbering for at least a decade. [cheers.gif]

A decade might be excessive, but yeah…time will help it get over the wood. I’ll let’cha know what it’s like after day two…

I had the 2016 last fall and had similar impressions. Great value, as are Boussey’s Meursaults.

**Second Day…**ripe fruit even more pronounced on the nose, tannins more up front, and the finish is much longer…but the oak is still a thing. This has all the structure and bones to go a long, long time. My remaining three bottles are down for a nap…no reason to touch these for at least five years.

I also bought 4 of these. My wife and I visited Laurent in 2018 and were impressed with what we tasted. His whites are also worth seeking out. Several young winemakers in Burgundy are bringing their domaines to new heights.