TN: NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvee Edition 169eme (France, Champagne)

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvee Edition 169eme - France, Champagne (10/20/2020)
319027. From half-bottle. Initially, somewhat thin with orchard fruit flavours and none of the expected Krug richness. It’s only with air that this picks up its girth. The nose and palate are both on the relatively lighter side, and this shows a little more bright fruit and freshness right now alongside a slightly green herb tone. I expect the nutty, bready flavours to develop with more time in the bottle (especially given that they seemed to increase in intensity with air in the glass). A good dose of chalkiness on the palate too. In the hierarchy, I’d probably put this a hair behind the 167eme, but ahead of the 166eme and 168eme. (93 pts.)

Bump.

Anyone else care to chime in? I just received a dozen 375s from Zachy’s and am curious about others’ impressions.

I’m probably going to hold off on ordering much if any 169 just because I have so much 168. I’ll probably grab a 6 pack of 375s at some point, though.

Just curious how you put this edition ahead of the 168 which is drinking exceptionally well now - or are you assuming it will be better in time than the 168?

The 168eme has a bit of a white grape juice profile that I don’t love. I don’t drink Krug for its acidity (which is also why I am not a huge fan of the 164eme) and the 168eme shows more of it relative to the 169eme.

I drank a 375 last night. Should have waited longer for it to settle down after a cross country trip. Very disjointed; an acid bomb showing little else. I’ll wait a few months before I open another.

Ive never experienced Krug before but just picked up a 166. How does this one compare with other editions and is it in a good drinking window yet ?

The base year for the 166 is 2010 which is generally regarded as a weak year for Champagne. But this doesn’t mean that it is not an enjoyable wine.