How to Pair (Great) Wine With McDonald’s

Big Mac & Red Burgundy
Filet-O-Fish & Austrian Blaufränkisch
Quarter Pounder & Red Super Tuscan
Hot Caramel Sundae & 20-year Tawny

Sometime I have to drink MacDonald with McDonald’s.

My fellow Captain Haddock fan for the win.

I had Ornellaia with meatloaf last night. Not bad for a Monday night

I prefer 1961 Petrus, but will do 1961 Cheval Blanc in a pinch.

Carl’s Super Star with Lynch Bages is a family tradition.

Mickey D’s is tougher…for a DQPC straight up your tannic Cali cab…Dunn, Togni, Alpha Omega.

I bet you bring your own styrofoam cup, too. [cheers.gif]

When I first started in the trade (late 1999) in a wine shop in London, we did a lot of on-site tasting, especially on Saturdays…

My colleague had the idea to try and work out what would pair with McDonalds, so we grabbed some and opened two bottles.

1985 La Mission Haut Brion on its own was delicious - with the Big Mac an absolute disaster. I think it was the special sauce - it just totally messed up the flavour profile and it was all tannins.

On the other hand, 1985 Krug (en magnum, of course) was a winner. It was of course brilliant alone, but it shone with the food - I think the extra acidity of Champagne and the natural richness of Krug just cut through all the extra stuff in the burger.

It’s worth noting that Krug is also particularly good with a bacon sandwich or a English fried breakfast.

champagne.gif

1 Like

Nope. Coca Cola doesn’t taste as good anywhere as it does at McD’s. You can’t top 100 points.

Champagne with McDs is one of my guilty pleasures. Something in the 8-10 g/L dosage range, with a higher proportion of Pinot. Great with a double cheeseburger (no pickles) and large fries.