Lots of Les Suchots, what's your favorite and why?

Rank them if you can:

Excellent (Ref. Standard): Arnoux
Very Good: H-N, J. Chez.
Good: Grivot
Fair: Jadot
Poor: ???

1 Like

Best: Liger-Belair, Arnoux
Right Below but no slouch… JM Millot, Hudelot Noellat
Delicious… all the rest I like them all. I haven’t had any Grivots but I would imagine I would put it up there.

I look for floral fruit and sexy texture. Some of that is site. Some is winemaking. Some is older vines.

2 Likes

Confuron-Condiot, Hudelot, and L’Arlot are fantastic.

Grivot does well also. Arnoux my favorite. Never had Liger-Belair.

1 Like

I’m generally not a fan of the grivot house style. Best value for me is j Chezeaux (shh)

Liger Belair is fantastic but certainly not worth the $; it’s the same price as drc rsv.

1 Like

I have to imagine Cathiard and Prieure Roche are outstanding.

In more my price point Hudelot Noellat and Jadot are quite good as was Jerome Chezeaux with 2009, 2017 at Vins Rare for $90 seems tempting.

Curious about others experience with Le Moine and Lamarche.

1 Like

Arnoux followed by Hudelot Noellat.

Arnoux is really something special but sad to say I got priced out by the 2016 vintage. Hudelot Noellat is quite a good producer and before 2017 still below 200 usd.

Of course Liger Comte, Cathiard, etc. might be better but the prices…

1 Like

Has anyone had Gerard Mugneret’s? I think I’ve only had the 2013 but it was excellent. I don’t have a lot to compare to.

Prieure Roch’s is amazing but it’s gotten way too expensive.

I felt the 2016 was riddled with brett and could only stretch to 84/100 at the Burgfest tasting.

Predictably, I do feel Liger-Belair is in a class of its own but it’s also a very singular style and perhaps tastes more of LB than it does of Suchots. Happily, LB tastes bloody good. I have a soft spot for Confuron-Cotetidot but, again, the winemaking has a heavy signature and is distinctly old fashioned. I had a 2006 the other week and it does taste like a wine from another era. Kind of Vosne made as if it were St Estephe in some ways.

I think there’s a lot of pretty good Suchots out there. Arnoux, Lamarche and Hudelot-Noellat can all be delicious but the one I’m most excited about is probably Berthaut-Gerbet.

1 Like

Not to change the topic but I’m guessing the preference is generally for Beaux Monts over Suchots

I went long the '98 Lamarche Suchot, and it has evolved very nicely. Really a lovely wine that needed some time, and some air after opening.

Here are some threads about particular Suchots where there are comments on different producers:

An Evening With Several Arnoux Suchots

TN: 2002 Frédéric Magnien Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots

TN: 2008 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots

I’m a fan of H-N, Cathiard and Arnoux as top tier wines from Suchots.

Below them for value plays I like the Jadot, Bouchard and Mongeard-Mugneret bottlings. Good price/performance ratio with these producers. And occasionally like in 2009 with Mongeard you can find a great version in the $70-$80 range.

2 Likes

Not for me personally. I prefer Suchots. I love Beaux Monts however.

Moving this up to continue the discussion on suchots. I’m wondering for 18/19, what you like and availability of non AL producers, which is way out of my range .

1 Like

Chezeaux, Millot, L’Arlot. Must rhyme with Suchots.

1 Like

Hudelot

Anyone tasted Marchand-Tawse Les Suchots. 2019 was having very fine reviews from Winehog and Vinous

bought 06 H-N Suchots for $50. Now the cheapest on w-s pro for any vintage is $275.