The Legendary QPR Wine from each Major European Region

I’m probably not going to explain this clearly (or some pedant is going to make a big deal out of a small ambiguity [swearing.gif] ), but here goes:

[UPDATE: Target price 40 bux on the shelf.]

There are some wines that many of us agree are almost perfectly made, typical, tradtional and consistently great wines from a region that cost very little given their ‘greatness.’ These wines must be made in large enough quantities and widely available. This isn’t really a discussion of individuals tastes, more what, collectively, the mainstream Berserker community generally agrees on.

These are wines that, despite their modest price and wide distribution, have some kind of wow factor.

Obviously, there is an element of subjectivity here, but I hope we don’t spend the whole thread discussing the question [soap.gif]

I’ll start the list off with some rock solid examples.

Please help me whittle this down to one for each type.

[Updated list]
Lopez de Heredia Tondonia
Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese off-dry Riesling
Keller Von der Fels dry riesling
Produttori de Barbaresco Barbaresco
Sociando Mallet Bordeaux Rouge
Pierre Yves Colin Morey Bourgogne Blanc
Felsina Chianti Classico
Pieropan ‘Calvarino’ Soave
Louis Michel Montee de Tonnerre Chablis
Faury St Joseph Vieilles Vignes
Pepiere Clos des Briords Muscadet
Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne Rouge
Huet Vouvray Sec Le Haut
Coudert Pere ‘Clos de la Roilette’ Fleurie Cuvee Tardive Beaujolais
Marc Hebrart BdB**
Sigalas Assyrtiko*
Baudry Les Grezeaux
Coudoulet de Beaucastel
Mariotto Timorasso

For those late to this thread, we had 2 offshoot threads to decide on the best value

*Disputes. See:

and

**best value Champagne:

Burgundy

Hn br
Pycm bb

Rhone:

X. Girard CR
A. verset cornas or v. Paris geynale

[popcorn.gif]

Bordeaux:

Chateau Meyney

Chateau Cantemerle
Chateau La Lagune

And yes, you know I’m gonna say Sociando and Lanessan.
Lanessan

Tuscany: Toss-up between Monsanto CC and Felsina CCR

Sauternes: Raymond-Lafon or Coutet

Chianti: Felsina Riserva
Brunello: Caprili
Barolo: Vajra
Italian White: anything Terlano
Bordeaux Rouge RB: La Fleur Morange Mathilde
Bordeaux Rouge LB: Lanessan
Bordeaux Blanc: Couhins Lurton
CdP: Vieux Telegraphe
Languedoc: Negly
N. Rhone: Guigal Crozes Hermitage
Burgundy Red: Jadot Clos Ursules
Burgundy White: Louis Michel Chablis MdT
Beaujolais: L’Envoye Core du Py

I get the feeling Taittinger isn’t on this list anymore…

Great keep them coming!

Sorry to change things slightly, but the first 4-5 are all around $40, so to keep a level playing field, I’m going to ask if we can choose wines at this approximate price point.

I’ve added Michael C’s PYCM BB. It definitely fits all criteria IMHO.

How about Felsina for CC? I don’t have a strong view in this region.

Choose one!

Remember, they must be wines that are legendary on here. Wines that are constantly in the discussions. Wines that if someone posts a TN, people who are into that region are likely to view it and the comments are largely positive about that wine.

This is a consensus more than an individual opinion thread.

As I usually buy Sauternes (and similar) in half bottles, I’m going to choose Climens for this region as it comes in at the target price. Any objections?

Then hit search…what’s the point of consolidating WB into 1 thread when you can have 10000 threads.

Just lazy… [pwn.gif]

Yeah. This is like the third iteration in like a month of this thread.

And what are the abbreviations in the top post for us unhip folk?

[head-bang.gif] I was waiting for the negative posts to come. What is it with so many folks on here. If you don’t like the topic just stay away. Try to be happy.

Yes, I agree about the initials. I’m new here and trying to up my wine game and definitely interested in this but I have no idea what those initials are. Maybe I should stay away until I learn?

Sorry, that wasn’t my aim. It was kind of a joke. People do this all the time. Not sure why I’m picked out for it.

I’ve changed it, but I do hope you make the same comment when other Berserkers use initials for commonly discussed wines. Believe me, it’ll be a full time job. Good luck!

LdH T - Lopez de heredia, tondonia
P WS K -
PdB B - produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco
SM - Sociando?
PYCM BB (Credit: Michael C) - pierre yves colin morey, Bourgogne blanc

Post #10 by yourself is just stupid. Legendary on WB…WTF does that even mean!?

Good luck…I will promise to make sure not to bump this drivel to top of page any longer and let it rest in the nether regions of WB where it belongs.

I can’t be bothered arguing. I’m using the Foe function.

Unfortunately, I’m probably going to end up only being able to see the lovely people who post about Loire cabernet franc. So be it.

Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr kabinett.