Ten thousand bottles of fake Haut Brion, mostly 258ml

No fine and the suspect disappeared.

Unfortunately, there’s no information in this story about the vintages, which is crucial to stop the sale of the 750mls. Most of it — more than 9,000 bottles — are 258ml (WTF?), so we won’t need Don Cornwall’s assistance in spotting those. That suggests that the counterfeiters aren’t targeting sophisticated buyers.

Note, also, there was fake Perrier-Jouet, which I’d think would be trickier to make.

Finally, note that the raid was nearly two years ago, in January 2019, but was only disclosed now.

258ml is such an odd bottle size. Who even makes bulk orders of bottles that size? Feels like you’d need to special order something like that.

It looks like it might be a standard bottle size in China.

Interesting. Does this mean that BDX chateaus produce wine in that format for the Chinese market instead of the standard 375ml?

Apparently they don’t need to :slight_smile:

Touche! I walked right into that one…

Still legitimately interested in learning more this 258ml bottle format, it’s the first time I’ve heard of it and I couldn’t find any much info on it

Keep an eye out for misspellings on the label.

I don’t have any info about wine. I just googled it and saw many hits for various 258ml bottles, including some liquors.

It’s almost as if the criminals first noticed 258ml bottles then decided to do something with them.

the trailing 8 might have something to do with luck in China, but I cnat think that overrules wanting to make it in an actual wine bottle format that Bordeaux would produce

Seem popular for dog drinks, too:
https://www.amazon.com/Multifunctional-Leak-Proof-Portable-Material-Wide-Mouth/dp/B08B16JL6Q