The winemaker at Screaming Eagle has started a brewery - selling a 6 pack of season lager for $100 a pack..

Nick Gislason - the current winemaker at Screaming Eagle has started a lager company

Currently have to register for the privilege of buying - ala a mailing list, but a friend of mine was sent a 6 pack by the brewery - they are priced at $100 for a pack of 6 lagers but also sold individually for $16 each. They are 500ml bottles.

Lagers - stainless steel lagers. $16 each per 500ml.

WOO.

Also selling artisanal fireworks

I can get a 258ml bottle of the beer in China for way less.

Obligatory helipad at the brewery joke ?

I’m told the equipment to produce lager on a commercial scale is crazy expensive, but yeah, that price for the beer is still silly.

I can’t speak to these particular beers, but it isn’t uncommon for breweries to release particular beers in this price point. Typically they are special releases though versus normal offerings.

It’s a lager tho brewed in stainless steel tanks. Usually pricier beers are due to the extended need for age - barrels etc.

Can you let us know some other lagers that release for $16 per can?
i see them for $20-25 for 4 pack pretty reguarly.

$25-30 a 750ml bottle for barrel aged stuff, but lager?

Charlie, It’s not April 1.

yeah - the equivalence of this is a $24 750ml Lager. Good luck to him. I think there will definitely be buyers with napa cab ties. I am kinda curious in trying it though… I do love a great Lager.

Did i just talk myself into this

can you land your helicopter on-site for the release? asking for a friend.
newhere

Cheaper than Westies!

I am going to try and see. I hope! I signed up.

I like they ferment their beer in tanks suspended high in the air.

For that price, you have to come by Aerolight.

Just heard about this last night through some friends. They have had it and claim its quite tasty. We share common palates in wine so I will give it a try.

Sean

Is it drain worthy? I smell a new avatar.

I don’t see how these very high priced beers can gain anything but a tiny following because there will always be great breweries producing equal or better quality willing to undercut the prices. There is no limiting factor like there is with wine. Even homebrewers can pretty much brew top line beers these days because they can obtain the highest quality starting materials with relative ease. It took me less than 6 months of homebrewing experience to produce beers better than 95% of what the brewpubs in my state were making, just as an example.

Looks a lot like what I did 14 years ago. I had a ton of winemakers drinking my beer before I went pro, but the beers we make today are much better than those that I made back then. I was a pioneer over a decade ago, but lagers are now well represented in Craft Brewing. This appears to be more marketing than substance. I’d love to try their beers, but I’m not going to pay $16 for a bottle.

I have drunk these beers at the winery and at professional events for winemakers and they are pretty damn good.

Outside of brite tanks needed for the lagering and the wait while it’s in tank, making lager isn’t especially expensive.

This is stupid priced.

One could argue brewing lager is cheaper than many of today’s popular beers. Lower ABV than the 7%+ beers found everywhere means less grain needed, and minimal hops especially compared to hazy IPAs.

Also unlike wine that has a limited amount of raw resource (the vineyard), any capable brewer should be able to produce the same exact beer.

PT Barnum is still right.