I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Patrick T a y l o r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 242
Joined: January 27th, 2019, 6:59 am
Location: Indiana

I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#1 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » October 22nd, 2020, 2:24 pm

"None of the diners appeared to initially spot the error..."

https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/new- ... 51-446051/
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39398
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#2 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 22nd, 2020, 2:31 pm

Hope everyone managed to have a laugh about it.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36036
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#3 Post by Anton D » October 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm

I spotted another error right there in the article.... "Mcnally added, ‘The trouble was, it was me who was down $2,000, not the bank.’"

Yeah, he serves wine at his cost. [rofl.gif]

$525 a bottle on Wine searcher, so his price likely more favorable than that.

_

So, he collected 2,018 dollars of the Mouton and 1 bottle of the 'plonk.'

I think he still walked away with a profit! PR value not included.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 39398
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#4 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 22nd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Anton D wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm
I spotted another error right there in the article.... "Mcnally added, ‘The trouble was, it was me who was down $2,000, not the bank.’"

Yeah, he serves wine at his cost. [rofl.gif]

$525 a bottle on Wine searcher, so his price likely more favorable than that.

_

So, he collected 2,018 dollars of the Mouton and 1 bottle of the 'plonk.'

I think he still walked away with a profit! PR value not included.
More like he collected $18, or $36. He didn't charge the couple of kids the Mouton's list price.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36036
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#5 Post by Anton D » October 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 2:50 pm
Anton D wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm
I spotted another error right there in the article.... "Mcnally added, ‘The trouble was, it was me who was down $2,000, not the bank.’"

Yeah, he serves wine at his cost. [rofl.gif]

$525 a bottle on Wine searcher, so his price likely more favorable than that.

_

So, he collected 2,018 dollars of the Mouton and 1 bottle of the 'plonk.'

I think he still walked away with a profit! PR value not included.
More like he collected $18, or $36. He didn't charge the couple of kids the Mouton's list price.
I was assuming the 'businessmen" still wanted their Mouton.

Now, he may actually be down 500 bucks.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Peter Valiquette
Posts: 115
Joined: April 14th, 2018, 10:35 am

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#6 Post by Peter Valiquette » October 22nd, 2020, 6:44 pm

What bottle of Pinot sells for $18 in NYC? Last I was there $18 will afford you two crap beers in a dive bar.

User avatar
G. Bienstock
Posts: 2780
Joined: December 29th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#7 Post by G. Bienstock » October 22nd, 2020, 7:07 pm

Peter Valiquette wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:44 pm
What bottle of Pinot sells for $18 in NYC? Last I was there $18 will afford you two crap beers in a dive bar.
This was my thought as well. Clearly all $18 bottles of Pinot Noir deserve to be decanted.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 36036
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#8 Post by Anton D » October 22nd, 2020, 7:07 pm

Peter Valiquette wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:44 pm
What bottle of Pinot sells for $18 in NYC? Last I was there $18 will afford you two crap beers in a dive bar.
And a free VIP card to Scores.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4446
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#9 Post by B. Buzzini » October 22nd, 2020, 7:53 pm

Fake news
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Morgan S
Posts: 29
Joined: October 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#10 Post by Morgan S » October 22nd, 2020, 9:34 pm

its a pinot they bought for $18 and sell for $50-80 most likely
S i n g

Morgan S
Posts: 29
Joined: October 8th, 2020, 7:14 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#11 Post by Morgan S » October 22nd, 2020, 9:38 pm

yes its exactly that..
Coteaux “Les Pierres Dorees”Latour .‘17.. is on their menu for $55 but retails for $18
S i n g

HenryB
Posts: 157
Joined: July 17th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#12 Post by HenryB » October 23rd, 2020, 12:37 am

Anton D wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 2:50 pm
Anton D wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm
I spotted another error right there in the article.... "Mcnally added, ‘The trouble was, it was me who was down $2,000, not the bank.’"

Yeah, he serves wine at his cost. [rofl.gif]

$525 a bottle on Wine searcher, so his price likely more favorable than that.

_

So, he collected 2,018 dollars of the Mouton and 1 bottle of the 'plonk.'

I think he still walked away with a profit! PR value not included.
More like he collected $18, or $36. He didn't charge the couple of kids the Mouton's list price.
I was assuming the 'businessmen" still wanted their Mouton.

Now, he may actually be down 500 bucks.

On a cost-basis, sure, but on potential profitability... Of course that's assuming he'd sell the 89 Mouton at some point.... but... given its 89 Mouton, its not like he has 6 months to sell it before it goes bad :)
|3 r 0 w |\|

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2634
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: London

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#13 Post by Jason T » October 23rd, 2020, 4:58 am

‘89 Mouton and the guy isn’t a bit alarmed at the ‘purity of fruit’? At a minimum I would have wondered I’d unintentionally been served a fake given that an ‘89 Paulliac has no resemblance to a current Pinot.

Also, was his table not offered a taste before decanting?
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1607
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#14 Post by Ethan Abraham » October 23rd, 2020, 5:04 am

He clarified on his IG post that this took place in 2000. Anyone know what the 89 Mouton would have been going for at auction around then?

User avatar
Charlie A
Posts: 94
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:40 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#15 Post by Charlie A » October 23rd, 2020, 7:16 am

This whole story smells like BS. Perhaps it is some caricature of a true story.

But what irks me is that the entire reason this has made the mainstream media is not because it's a funny story. It's that everyone loves a chance to laugh at and denigrate wine connoisseurs as a bunch of status-obsessed know-nothings who wouldn't know the difference between the expensive wine they buy and plonk.

That vibe comes through on the owner's post as well, which is why I'm crossing Balthazar off the list.
- Charlie A r t i m e

User avatar
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
Posts: 2559
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#16 Post by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ » October 23rd, 2020, 8:03 am

I hate when restaurants bring a decanter of wine after you order a bottle. I've had similar 'mix-ups' resulting from this.
bleh | meh - | meh | meh + | eh? | ehh | yeah | yeah! | OHYEAH

User avatar
PHuff
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 708
Joined: January 31st, 2010, 5:19 pm
Location: New Jersey

Wine Mix-Up at Balthazar.......$18 Pinot and an 89 Mouton

#17 Post by PHuff » October 23rd, 2020, 11:06 am

The story speaks for itself......but the fact that 4 Wall Street guys didn't immediately realize that they were drinking an $18 Pinot and not an 89 Mouton is classic

Paul

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 19194
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Location: Noo Yawk

Re: Wine Mix-Up at Balthazar.......$18 Pinot and an 89 Mouton

#18 Post by Victor Hong » October 23rd, 2020, 11:31 am

2000
WineHunter.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 40224
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: Wine Mix-Up at Balthazar.......$18 Pinot and an 89 Mouton

#19 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 23rd, 2020, 11:41 am

Merging threads
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 780
Joined: January 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#20 Post by Dennis Borczon » October 23rd, 2020, 11:51 am

Maybe tells you about most Wall Street guys and what they secretly enjoy drinking ...

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7523
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

#21 Post by Mark Golodetz » October 23rd, 2020, 12:18 pm

Ethan Abraham wrote:
October 23rd, 2020, 5:04 am
He clarified on his IG post that this took place in 2000. Anyone know what the 89 Mouton would have been going for at auction around then?
In September 2000, Sotheby’s offered a case for $1700 to $2300.
ITB

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”