I'll take "Pinot vs Pauillac" for $2000, Alex

“None of the diners appeared to initially spot the error…”

Hope everyone managed to have a laugh about it.

I spotted another error right there in the article… “Mcnally added, ‘The trouble was, it was me who was down $2,000, not the bank.’”

Yeah, he serves wine at his cost. [rofl.gif]

$525 a bottle on Wine searcher, so his price likely more favorable than that.

_

So, he collected 2,018 dollars of the Mouton and 1 bottle of the ‘plonk.’

I think he still walked away with a profit! PR value not included.

More like he collected $18, or $36. He didn’t charge the couple of kids the Mouton’s list price.

I was assuming the 'businessmen" still wanted their Mouton.

Now, he may actually be down 500 bucks.

What bottle of Pinot sells for $18 in NYC? Last I was there $18 will afford you two crap beers in a dive bar.

This was my thought as well. Clearly all $18 bottles of Pinot Noir deserve to be decanted.

And a free VIP card to Scores.

Fake news

its a pinot they bought for $18 and sell for $50-80 most likely

yes its exactly that…
Coteaux “Les Pierres Dorees”Latour .‘17… is on their menu for $55 but retails for $18

On a cost-basis, sure, but on potential profitability… Of course that’s assuming he’d sell the 89 Mouton at some point… but… given its 89 Mouton, its not like he has 6 months to sell it before it goes bad :slight_smile:

‘89 Mouton and the guy isn’t a bit alarmed at the ‘purity of fruit’? At a minimum I would have wondered I’d unintentionally been served a fake given that an ‘89 Paulliac has no resemblance to a current Pinot.

Also, was his table not offered a taste before decanting?

He clarified on his IG post that this took place in 2000. Anyone know what the 89 Mouton would have been going for at auction around then?

This whole story smells like BS. Perhaps it is some caricature of a true story.

But what irks me is that the entire reason this has made the mainstream media is not because it’s a funny story. It’s that everyone loves a chance to laugh at and denigrate wine connoisseurs as a bunch of status-obsessed know-nothings who wouldn’t know the difference between the expensive wine they buy and plonk.

That vibe comes through on the owner’s post as well, which is why I’m crossing Balthazar off the list.

I hate when restaurants bring a decanter of wine after you order a bottle. I’ve had similar ‘mix-ups’ resulting from this.

The story speaks for itself…but the fact that 4 Wall Street guys didn’t immediately realize that they were drinking an $18 Pinot and not an 89 Mouton is classic

Merging threads

Maybe tells you about most Wall Street guys and what they secretly enjoy drinking …