2013 Keller von der Fels. Wow.

This was REALLY good! I (sadly) have limited experience with Keller wines but have been working hard to rectify that. For those with more knowledge, would I have been rewarded if I aged this even further? I have a 14 as well so trying to determine the optimal time to pop the cork. Thanks in advance!

[media] Rich Brown on Instagram: "Wow. Just wow. Wish I could get my hands on more Keller!! #riesling #kellerriesling #kellervonderfels #kellerdalsheim" [/media]

Been enjoying the 14/16 of these! One can’t afford to drink Gmax everyday…unless your last name is in the word fuck! [wink.gif]

Ha! That is very, very true [cheers.gif]

Rich,

2013 von der Fels is for the long run. More details regarding ageing potential of vdF you will find in the Issue No. 49 from January 2020 by Mosel Fine Wines, as they made a vdF-vertical.

Cheers,
Martin

My opinion is yes, you would have been rewarded richly by giving it more time. These are absolutely beautiful young, no question, and I bet the 2013 is delightful (I haven’t touched any of mine), but my last few bottles of 2004 have been pretty special.

is there a hierarchy to the Keller “inexpensive” bottlings? Von der Fels, RR, Trocken, Limestone…?

VDF is young vines from the various GG sites. RR is a pocket of red soil vines from kirschpiel (which is otherwise limestone) and is usually slightly off dry. This year (18) there is also an RR reserve that was aged an extra year in cask. I think trocken and limestone are basically the same except limestone is vinified off dry (sometimes there’s also a limestone kabi), but I might be off on that.

Maybe apart from 2006 which was botrytis infected all VdF are still in great shape
Even the 2005 Riesling Trocken is fine now

Thanks Martin - was hoping to hear from you! Will absolutely check that out!

Thanks Sarah! That’s kinda what I figured…but just couldn’t help myself. Nice to get a feel for these at a young age but ill try to keep my 14 longer and any other bottles I’m able to scoop up.

Super helpful - thanks Ethan!

P.S.

According to MFW, the drinking window for 2013 vdF is 2023-2043

Here the TN by MFW:

“The 2013er Riesling Trocken von der Fels comes only from Grand Cru sites, essentially from the Abtserde part of the Westhofener Brunnenhäuschen and the Westhofener Kirchspiel. It comes over as superbly fresh and cool at first, but this quickly gives way to riper but beautifully aromatic scents of yellow fruits, grapefruit, anise, herbs, and mirabelle. The wine is deliciously refined, pure, and zesty on the palate. It is still quite compact and intense, but proves already beautifully focused and airy in the delicately long finish. This only needs a few more years of patience to fully develop its flavors, but everything is already in place for a great wine at maturity. 2023-2043”

93/100

Sarah, Sarah,

what a lucky girl you are.

TN by MFW regarding 2004 vdF

“The 2004er Riesling Trocken von der Fels comes only from Grand Cru sites, essentially from the Dalsheimer Hubacker and the Westhofener Kirchspiel. It offers a beautifully expressive and fully mature nose of ripe sweet fruits, almond, pineapple, smoke, and chamomile. The wine proves pure, focused, and driven by zesty fruits on the palate. A superb sense of grip gives the wine presence and complexity as it unfolds. The finish is very long and tastes fully dry. Now-2024”

Welp…sounds like I opened it a good decade+ too early, ha! Appreciate it Martin - will hang onto the 14 that I have for a while. And as always, will be trying my damndest to find more!

Nope. Still not possible.

(look at my last name)

Ha! Well damn, the rest of us have zero chance then :wink:

I have 2 2016’s. Thoughts?

Dan

Nice!!

The 2018 VdF was great the -RR- was a step up and more complex !!

instagram https://www.instagram.com/b.r.wines/

Nice ig photos.