Recent TNs: Peters, Jouan, Barthod

2017 Jouan Aux Echezeaux

Beautiful soulful and ethereal aromatics with floral notes, dark currants, and some forest floor notes. The palate has ample but not onerous acidity and a long finish. Richer with more punch then the coteaux.

Pierre Peters Cuvée de Reserve

Just lovely. Linear, beautiful crisp acidity, and lovely lemon zest notes. Reloaded big time.

2017 Barthod Bourgogne

Charming, rich pure dark fruits, much more accessible than the 16.

2017 Barthod Chambolle AC

A bit more stuffing than the Bourgogne with more complexity and lovely pure fruits. This is chambolle. Perfect vintage for this.

I like the way you drink! [cheers.gif]

Great to hear! I was under the impression that Barthod wines were not very approachable in their youth…

17 is generally a vintage that’s pretty generous. It may yet shut down but for now, open for business.

Glad the Jouan showed well. We had a bottle over a couple of evenings this week and, while the I could see the potential, I found it to be pretty stern right now (surprisingly so given so many of the ‘17s I’ve had so far have been very accessible).

They’re generally not. Supposedly her son has been doing some of the winemaking (which could explain early drinking 17s), but in my experience drinking Barthod young was downright painful.

The ac has been good early in 15/17.

Really nice notes. Thank you. Some excellent wines.

Clément is indeed making the wines but Ghislaine and Louis are both very much present and involved still. I don’t think the winemaking has changed, it’s just the vintages make for more mature tannins. Drank a 2015 Beaux Bruns yesterday (in a restaurant) and it was indeed quite lovely, though 10 years away from any kind of real maturity.

Agreed. When I went to the Paulee Grand Tasting last March I was surprised at how easy these wines were to drink. As you say, they could shut down, but these wines drink better at 2-3 years old than do most Burgundy vintages.

This is my go to young vintage right now for red. The 2014s are starting to close down in many ways. I love these wines.

Does clement make both the boillot and Barthod wines?

Michael,

Do you recall the disgorgement of the Peters?

Is there a plan to combine into one label, Boillot-Barthod or Barthod-Boillot or …, once the generational transition is complete.

That was exactly what I thought when I read the title!

I can check when I go to the cellar next, I got a 3 pack so I imagine they’re all from the same batch

My understanding is that Clement took over responsibility for both in the 2019 vintage. Hopefully the Boillot wines, if they remain separate, will remain somewhat under the radar and affordable. The importers for the two domaines are different…I wonder if that makes a difference on pricing and how that will be affected going forward if they combine in any way.

William , I’m still trying to source a 2002 to see if it’ll make me a believer :slight_smile:

Yes.

Wonder if he’ll keep the domains separate once he inherits them both