TN: 2016 Paolo Scavino Barolo Monvigliero (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

My first 2016 Cru Barolo opened. Definitely on the fleshier more modern style but outstanding wine worth seeking. I usually prefer a more classical expression but these are fun to give a whirl as well.

• 2016 Paolo Scavino Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (10/24/2020)
    This opens up with an exuberant and expressive nose of cherry and floral tones. The nose itself is worth opening right now. Not surprisingly it’s wide open right on the palate with silky fine tannins in a super expressive expression. Layers of flavors of cherry, floral and a touch of menthol unfold and get deeper with more time in the glass. It was an excellent match with a veal chop and I preferred it with food which tamed it a bit. It was terrific on day 2 with a bit of the exuberance tamped down with a bit more classic expression. This really delivers for the $ and I think will pick up a point or 2 in the next few years as it develops in bottle. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds delicious - thanks for the note.

Sounds great. I tasted through the 15s last year and was shocked at the strong oaky dill aromas across the lineup that really ruined the wines for me. I basically wrote off Paulo Scavino as a result. That being said, I’ve seen some great notes like yours and they make we wonder if something was off with those bottles. The Scavino daughter was there tasting with us though, and she indicated that the bottles were correct.

Did you pick this up at all? Maybe it was just the riper vintage?

No, there is nothing that resembles dill on any of the wines I have had (Ravera, Monvigliero, normale). Oak derived scents weren’t prominent enough for them to show up in my notes.

They’re no longer using new oak, at least on the Monvigliero, according to the importer’s website, but it does spent nearly a year in “neutral” French barrels before going into large botte for another year. Even barriques that are several years old sometimes give some oak flavors.

It’s funny you found the '15s oaky. When I tasted their '15 lineup, I thought they were more transparent than the '13s and other recent vintages, when I’d found the wines kind of muddy – without precise flavor contours. Maybe I hit a good day for the 15s. The oak wasn’t prominent when I tasted them. I’m not doubting your experience, based on tasting other recent vintages. I sometimes find that oak in the same wine shows more on some occasions than others.

I treated through most of the 16s and bought a bunch pre arrival. I have a strong aversion to anything dill and did not pick any of that up. The Fiasc was my favorite and I bought several

None at all David. I sometimes pick up that note with American Oak. I didn’t taste oak influence on these at all but attributed the fleshy silky style to their oak regimen. It’s a big wine with deep flavors and it was delicious. Scavino is not a style I will reach to all the time but these will be fun to track and share with folks that might be new to Nebbiolo.

Thanks Andrew. I’ve gotten a lot of my 2016 Barolo from NY retailers. Great selection and pricing.