Oct 24 - Dueling Auctions (Acker vs HDH)

Two auctions. One phone. I hope you all are doing well out there.

I’ve only won one lot so far (lost 10).

Who’s paying 700 for 2002 dom rose and 280 for 08 dom?

The usual HDH shockers, though perhaps less than this spring. Maybe I’m naive but I didn’t realize Riesling was going for $400/bottle these days!

Did pick up some good Geantet-Pansiot crus for below retail and nice prices, IMO this producer is still undervalued in the market.

I tuned in just to see what the action on the ex-chateau Montrose stuff was gonna look like. The 2L bottles were an interesting gimmick - it worked for Pepsi, so why not? Anybody crunch the numbers relative to the market price of the wine on a per-liter basis to see how much the winner paid for the playing cards and gambling chips?

Just glancing over at acker some reasonable (in context) prices on top tier burgs. Definitely a discount for some of those huge 2case+ mixed lots.

At 8 bottle equivalents (32L/750 ml) and the hammer price of $24,000 (240001.2=$28,800 all in), the lucky winner paid an all-in price of $3600/bottle for a 2014-2016 vertical that would have cost them an average of less than $200/bottle if you bought them at normal prices.

Probably most of the bidding on that (besides the scarcity of the 2L containers, smart move) was for the four guest overnight at the chateau with tour, that’s a couple of grand worth of value if you consider luxury hotel prices. Still, clearly not a “price sensitive” bidder!

So far, yeah. We’ll see where it goes. Acker’s estimates are more realistic than HDHs in general. Not sure why, but HDH loves to play the “we overperfomed the high estimate by 50%” game. Just adds more work to the customers, in figuring out what the true price is. Let’s see where these Jayer’s go…

At HDH 1993 Rousseau Chambertin just went for $4000 per bottle for 6 and 1993 Clos St Jacques for $1900 for 1. I’ve seen higher prices than that.

15k all in for 85 cros!!! wow

Also 15k all in at feb Acker auction.

Everything needs to hammer ~10% lower to make it cost effective to buy from them in NY.

If you are referring the fact that they charge tax, regardless of where you live they will charge you. Not just NY

I think she means that with buyers premium and tax, everything else being equal HDH is 10% cheaper. It’s actually a bit more than 10%

I understood. I was addressing the “in NY” - yes the BP is 4% lower and the lack of tax charged in Delaware vs the 8.375% charged in NY (regardless of whether you live in NY or not) is a 12.71% discount relative to the all-in Acker price. I assume most buyers think in all-in terms (similar to buying at KL where the BP is 5%

Yes, I know. That was my point - and my syntax was correct. You do, in fact, buy from the “in NY” regardless of where you live - that is where the transaction takes place. Acker’s price ends up being more expensive because they charge you tax and their premium is higher. HDH does not charge you tax as they are based in Delaware. And I am well aware most buyers consider all in price. Thus why Acker hammer needs to be ~10% (okay, closer to 12) to be cost effective, just as I said.

You still have responsibility to pay use tax, but that’s another issue.

12 pack of 08 DP legacy went for 1800 at acker. A 6 pack went for 1400 at HDH. Um…

This is the beauty of markets. I’m curious: which lot went first?

HDH

She, but yes - if the hammers are the same, the all-in at HDH will be lower for those reasons.

A couple aged Cali lots I was interested in at HDH went absurdly high. ‘71 Ridge Eisele 4 bottle lot went at $15k (I almost slid it over to 16 but stopped myself), and the 2-bottle lot of ‘74 Heitz Martha’s hammered for $6500!!

I understand the insanely high price on the Ridge because there’s so little of it and it so rarely comes up for auction. ‘74 HMV has come up for auction more than a dozen times this year and the highest price anyone paid including premium was under $2400/btl. After premium, $6500 will be almost $4k/btl.