Thoughts on source | material Prum offering

Didn’t want to clutter their post in commerce corner, but interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Seems intriguing. Prum is such a great value at $30-40 and so many great vintages to choose from, but unsure of the QPR at $55 for these vintages. Might still pick up a case since my Prum holdings are always in need of refreshing.

I’m pretty stocked up with current vintage rieslings and mostly looking to load up on some more aged bottles, so I think I’ll pass on this offer. But pricing wise it seems pretty fair. With the WS US lows:

2018 Himmelreich Kabinett 26.39
2016 Himmelreich Spätlese 32.99
2012 Himmelreich Auslese 49.95
2003 Himmelreich Auslese Gold Capsule 100
Total: 627.99

Considering I likely couldn’t get all of those at the US low without incurring a bunch of shipping costs, Robert’s offer looks fairly priced. I did the same exercise with lowest cost at other NYC retailer for each bottle and the offer comes out cheaper than going to other retailers. Add in the impeccable provenance, and a letter from Katharina Prüm on the wines and it’s a pretty solid deal money wise. Whether you prefer other wines or vintages from Prum at this price is a different matter.

I was actually curious what it might look like. Turns out I already own all of these wines, so it’s an easy pass.

I think pricing is totally fair for quality and provenance, not to mention the work that went into putting it together.

Good work on that. I think that sums it up. Half the cost is in the GKAs and 03 doesn’t really excite me. GKAs in general aren’t my go to because of the large premium paid over the standard Auslese. That explains at least my opinion on the offer.

As a younger collector, I’m in as a way to backfill older vintages with unbeatable provenance. This is how I allocated the price (incl. shipping) in CT:

33 - 2018 Himmelreich Kabinett
40 - 2016 Himmelreich Spätlese
55 - 2012 Himmelreich Auslese
105 - 2003 Himmelreich Auslese GKA

I am a buyer, basically WS low pricing with perfect provenance of very nice wines all shipping coordinated together and supporting great guys who are doing cool stuff for the wine world.

I just bought a case. Excellent wines and provenance. Fun tasting for a wine group, especially with Katherine’s letter.

I was not a buyer, but getting it winery direct is a nice bonus compared to retail offerings.

yup

Agree with Sarah and Daniel

Prum GKAs are easily worth the premium over standard auslese so I’d base the call on how much you like the vineyard/vintages

I’m going for a case. My current Prum portfolio is heavily weighted towards WS even though I too love the wines that come from Graacher Himmelreich. The vertical tasting we had at the estate in 2017, with GH/WS auslese and auslese goldkapsel going back to 2003, was superlative.

I bit immediately. Love Prum (largest german holding in my cellar, second largest overall), love the graach wines, love 2012, and didn’t own any of these. Plus of course have been looking to buy from these guys. Just don’t tell Jay!

In for one : )

For me it transcends the financial value and it is more about supporting the effort and the passion.