Blowout wines spotted locally.

I thought it Might be interesting to see what wine anybody has seen on the shelf in their local area being blown out. Occasionally of course we get a major retailer offering big discounts on wines, but I’m sure there are interesting observations to be made on stuff being liquidated in only certain locals. Maybe it’s good, maybe it’s plonk but let’s see if we can take an inventory of just how much excess might be out there.

Recently we have been awash in 2014 Sterling Napa Valley Merlot for $9/case. Here it’s $25+ on the shelves, so that’s a blowout for Ohio. I bought a couple bottles and it’s I guess what you would expect. Much much better than most anything here for $10 but not a purchase I’d make @$25. Good fruit probably picked too ripe and of course the oak treatment.

So what have you seen while browsing your local wine shops. (Actually this is at a supermarket chain)

I’ve mentioned this one before, but I have 4 bottles of 2015 Nervi Conterno Gattinara that I got from Total Wine at $22 each. Best wine deal I’ve found!

I grabbed some 2016 Continuum about 6 months ago for $170/bottle from a local retailer. That has to be very near wholesale cost, although not sure why they were marked so low. Glad to have grabbed what they had left! :slight_smile:

Picked up a couple 2015 Frog’s Leap Cab from the Chairman’s Selection from the PLCB for $38 per

I did too wine visiting my parents. Great deal.

Closeout bin sale at Sam’s Club–2011 Don Melchor Cabernet for $8.31/per. Snagged all 8–what a ridiculous steal.

I was going to post my the blowout of $42 for same wine but you beat me to it with a better price.

Still a great pick-up!!

What! [worship.gif]

This thread should be re-titled “Make You Jealous” deals

[swoon.gif] Insanity

A friend in Switzerland just got a bunch of back vintages (1995-2005) of Kracher TBAs for $28 / 375ml. Not the most insane deal in this thread but pretty incredible.

Wow! That had to be a mistake on their part. No brainer to buy all of them.

Closeout bin sale at Sam’s Club–2011 Don Melchor Cabernet for $8.31/per. Snagged all 8–what a ridiculous steal.

That is better than the Prum deals a decade ago in Minneapolis for $7 a bottle although they had probably 20 total cases our wine geek crew were able to get their hands on.

Every since Big Top Sid’s in Minneapolis sold there have been almost no great deals.

That is a terrific wine. Deal of the century there.

Daou Cab $17
Stags Leap Investor $28
Gund Bund Mtn Cuvée $13
Conundrum $17
bonanza blend 17
BV Tapestry 30$
Stags Leap PS $24
Stone street Rockfall $70
Textbook Cab 21$
St Supéry Cab 24$
Justin Cab 19$
Earthquake 20$
Shafer one point 5 $84
Shafer Relentless 83$
Shafer TD9 $53
Black Stallion Cab 18$

In Vegas Southern was ordered to cut $2 million in inventory. The restaurants are buying virtually nothing (same in Phoenix). On sale are “steak house” wines especially, like Silver Joke, Frog’s Leap cabs, Flora Springs, D.R. Stephens, some pricey Bordeaux like LaFleur, etc. Some of these are magnums and they are stacked to the ceiling all over town.

In Indiana there really aren’t any great “local wine shops”. We have Khan’s Fine Wines, but their prices are rarely ever considered to be “good”. I was able to find two bottles of 2007 JJ Prum Spatlese and 1 bottle of 2007 JJ Prum Auslese in a wine fridge at a local liquor store about 4 months ago for $45. Not a remarkable deal, but just finding these in Indiana and also at a “decent” price was a miracle.

about five years ago I came across a perfectly stored 1966 Angelus for $160.